cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidCo
Expert
Message 1 of 28

TP-LINK N600 TD-W9980

I think I've had enough of HomeHubs. Number 4 was 'installed' last week. This was over a 2yr period. I've been from HH3 - HH5A - HH5B - HH5A. Now the latest 5A isn't updating firmware to .204 so I don't get the config' updates, G.INP etc.

My line is excellent. The Cab' is a H96.

Connected to Modem/Router will be an iMac, PC, BT YouView box with Netflix.

The price seems vgood (£62) so I'm looking at the TP-Link (subject) I am not concerned with dual band and only enable 2.4 when our granddaughter comes to stay (iPhone)

Anybody with 'cons' or other ideas please.

David

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: TP-LINK N600 TD-W9980

there have been quite a few posts about the w9980 so did you try the search facility as that should bring up quite a few threads which should help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 28

As posted in another thread, the only downside is if you want detailed line stats. I've been more than happy with mine.

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 4 of 28

I did search/read. That was then and I always like up-to-date comment, if any. It's very easy to read old opion and assume.

I've done without meaningful (to me) line stats with the HH's, try this one from today.

Data rate:7194 / 39921
7. Maximum data rate:6618 / 4213405

Ho-hum

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 28

You get the basics as per HH, but not the detailed error stats that some people like.

9980stats.jpg

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 6 of 28

If it stays upright, dosn't try to tell me stupid things, is stable, reliable and fades into the background both physically and mentally I'll have one. If it gets on with the youview n netflix my wife will have one.

Ordered, back to wires only.

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

It pretty much sets itself up with the Quick Setup option. Just select xDSL Modem Router Mode, VDSL_BT from the ISP list,  username homehub@btbroadband.com and password BT, wireless details of your choice and that's it set up.

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 8 of 28

I  just got the tp-link and am doing the usual pre-setup before tomorrow am.

I tried the TP-Link emulator but it does not show the VDSL_BT just ADSL_BT, I guess it's just out of date.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

Which firmware is it?  Download the latest here http://uk.tp-link.com/download/TD-W9980.html#Firmware

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 10 of 28

I don't know what the firmware is, I have not even turned it on.

But I have downloaded 150507.

I will transfer all bits n bobs to the iMac that is 2m from the unit (wired as all is)

I assume that it will auto PPPoE/VlanID etc

0 Ratings