Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Windmiller
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

TP-LINK VR2600 Web pages won't open

Hi, I recently bought a VR2600 to replace my HH5 for greater coverage and to cope with the amount of traffic my family seem to consume. I set the router up (no OR modem needed) entered the BT username and password, and great! Android Phones and tablets work fine, but our 2 laptops will only access Google and Facebook, all other websites time out.

I've been on to TP-LINK support for a couple of days, but they seem to be stumped too. I'm sure it's just something simple to get it working, but it's driving me mad!

Any help would be appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: TP-LINK VR2600 Web pages won't open

It could be that your laptops have IPv6 selected. Try disconnecting it as follows:

Select Start

In the search field type.ncpa.cpl and press enter.

In the new window right click on your wireless network connection and select properties

In “This connection uses the following items” section remove the tick beside Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) then press OK

Left click on Internet Protocol IPv4, click properties . Check the options to obtain IP address and DNS server address automatically.

Once done try and connect to internet.

0 Ratings
Windmiller
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I followed your suggestion, and ipv6 was indeed checked, so I unticked it, and ip and DNS are on auto, but still no joy...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

It is odd that two of your computers have the problem and the phones and tablet don't. That would tend to rule out the router being the problem.

You could try resetting TCP/IP on the computers to see if it helps.

Open a command prompt by clicking Start and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

Under Programs, right-click the CMD.exe icon, and then click Run as administrator.

When the User Account Control box appears, click Yes.

Type the fllowing commands into an elevated command prompt one at a time, hit enter after each one then reboot the system.

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

Windmiller
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks again gg30340 for the suggestion.

I followed the instructions, and my work outlook is now working again, which is good, but still no joy with accessing any websites except Google search and Facebook.

It's strange because when I reconnect my old hh5, everything works fine, which makes me think it's probably a router setting issue not a laptop issue.

Any more suggestions gratefully received because I'm stumped!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Presumably you will have factory reset the router and set it up again? 

I would agree that it appears to be a router problem except that your other devices are working correctly.

I don't have any knowledge of that router so can not advise what the settings should be other than the username and password for BT which you already know but as far as I am aware it should be more or less plug and play.

Does this happen on both wireless and wired connections?

What browser are you using?

Have you tried another browser?

Does it happen with HTTPS sites and non HTTPS sites?

Do you have any banking software such as Trusteer Rapport installed?

Make sure that you are not set to connect through a proxy.

Go to Start > Control Panel> Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > tick Automatically Detect Settings.

0 Ratings
Windmiller
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Yes, the router has been factory reset a few times, and it makes no difference if the laptops are wired or wireless.

I mainly use Chrome, but I it'd no different when I use Edge or Mozilla.

It's the same for http and https. One laptop has Trusteer, the other doesn't, and I've checked that I'm not running through a proxy.

I'm not even sure it's a faulty router, because surely it would have an effect on other devices if that was the case.

It's certainly very odd, but if a solution doesn't work soon, I might have to go back to the stuttering hh5.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I am at a loss because of the conflicting information. Router works OK with mobile devices but not laptops this would tend to point to laptop problem. Laptops work OK on HH5 which would point to router problem. 

Did you install any software that came with the router?

There was a few posts on line about the router QOS setting WWW Wifi enable multi media being ticked when it should be unticked but this apparently only affects wireless connections so it might be worth checking.

You might find as the evening goes on somebody with the same or similar router will read your post and post what settings they are using. Meanwhile do you have a friend that could try using their laptop to connect to the router to see if the problem occurs with them. 

0 Ratings