cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

TP Link Archer VR2100 - No DSL synchronisation

Go to solution

Hi All,

I bought a TP Link Archer VR2100 vdsl/adsl router yesterday to replace my Smart Hub 2. The main reason I want to use it is so I can set a network-wide DNS for my Pihole.

Anyway tried to set it up yesterday and I cannot get the DSL to synchronise, the light just keeps on flashing. I've messed around with the DSL settings in the router and the only settings where the DSL light starts to flash is auto or VDSL2 and Annex A. It's frustrating because the second I plug the DSL cable into the Smart Hub it connects to the internet fine.

The only thing I think might be causing an issue is the Master Socket 5c I have fitted that splits the phone and DSL ports. Unfortunately I don't have a traditional splitter lying around and the one that came with the router doesn't fit because it doesn't have the little extension wire.

Does anybody have any experience with a 3rd party router and the master socket? Would this cause an issue? I'm not sure what else I can do but I really want to get this router set up.

Edit: I've also updated the router to the latest FW

Cheers.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: TP Link Archer VR2100 - No DSL synchronisation

Go to solution

@ibeef1990 

What BT Broadband package do you have?

The DSL lead from the TP Link, should fit the broadband outlet on the NTE 5c. Its a normal RJ11 lead.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I have Fibre 100 which is FTTC, the RJ11 lead does fit.

What doesn't fit is the adsl filter/splitter that came with the router. Just to eliminate it as a problem I pulled the master socket faceplate off and behind it there is a traditional phone port you can plug into but because of the shape of the socket I can't plug in the filter that came with the router because it doesn't have the little wire extension before the splitter, I hope that makes sense.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@ibeef1990 wrote:

I have Fibre 100 which is FTTC, the RJ11 lead does fit.

The service you have is incompatible with the TP Link, as it does not work with a G.Fast connection, which is what you have.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Oh, that would make a lot of sense, thanks for clearing that up.

Are there any 3rd party routers that do support a G.Fast connection?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@ibeef1990 wrote:

Oh, that would make a lot of sense, thanks for clearing that up.

Are there any 3rd party routers that do support a G.Fast connection?

The ASUS DSL-AC88U is one, according to this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/ASUS-DSL-AC88U-DSL-Light-flashing-after-firmwar...

See https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking-IoT-Servers/Modem-Routers/All-series/DSL-AC88U/

There are other threads mentioning this one, and you may get more advice from other forum members.

Remember you can turn off the DHCP server on the Smart Hub 2, and use your own DHCP server. That will allow you to define your own DNS server address,

Its the DHCP server that does the allocation.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, I will look into it 🙂

0 Ratings