cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

TP-Link Archer - no internet on my BT connection?

Go to solution

Heya. I recently bought a TP-Link Archer C80 to replace my BT Home Hub 4, so I could take advantage of it's superior features. Much to my dismay, I plugged in the TP-Link router and was unable to receive an internet connection - I discovered I needed a modem (which I did not have, due to the HH4 supposedly having a built in virtual modem).

I ordered a cheap Openreach modem from Amazon, which arrived about 2 hours ago. I've plugged everything in, and all of the cables seem to be well fit. However, the TP-Link router's internet LED stays red no matter what I try, and I also noticed the DSL light on my modem never comes on.

A few things I've attempted:
- Changing the connection type to PPPoE, using the login bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password bt.
- Changing the VLAN id to 101. The router also has VoIP and IPTV VLANs, which I assume aren't important, so I set them to something random.
- Factory resetting the router
- Resetting the modem (by holding down the reset button on the modem until the power button turned red, and then back)
- Plugging the modem into my computer directly - it connected to my computer but I had no internet still, and wasn't able to find any sort of configuration page.
- Turning everything on and off again

Plugging my old HH4 back in gives me internet again with no issues. I'm not sure what else to do in this scenario, and why things aren't working. Can somebody help me?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: TP-Link Archer - no internet on my BT connection?

Go to solution

If you are on an ADSL (normal) broadband as opposed to VDSL (Fibre) broadband, you will more than likely have bought an Openreach VDSL modem which does not work on an ADSL connection. You will need to buy an ADSL modem or change your router for one with a built in ADSL modem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

If you have a HH 4 directly connected without a modem, you must have standard ADSL broadband rather than VDSL (FTTC) broadband. In which case you need to configure the TP Link as PPPoA rather than PPPoE with vpi/ vci 0/38 

The wizard should select the correct details if you select connection as BT ADSL rather than VDSL.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

So, I just went back and dug through some questions on the Amazon listing, and sure enough... it seems to be a VDSL modem. I feel so stupid. Thank you for your help though, I'll send this modem back and get an ADSL one.

Could you recommend any ADSL modems?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Personally I would not waste money buying a stand alone ADSL modem. You would be better to get a router that has an ADSL/VDSL modem built in. This will give you some future proofing should you change to Fibre broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

I don't have an option to use PPPoA. My options are Dynamic IP, Static IP, PPPoE, L2TP or PPTP.

Also, there isn't any sort of setup wizard that allows me to set it as a BT DSL connection.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

So should I return this router and get a different one, as it doesn't seem to have a modem built in? I've done some looking and yes it seems quite hard to get hold of an ADSL modem. That said though, futureproofing is not a concern because I live in the complete sticks and I'm told there are no plans whatsoever to get fibre installed here (unfortunately).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

There are plenty of combined ADSL modem/routers out there.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Rather than using the router you have just bought and a stand alone mode, you said you were going to send the router back.

You can get the TP-Link AC1200 VDSL/ADSL modem router on Amazon for £67 which will work on your present broadband and also if you change to fibre in the future.

Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Would I be able to simply buy an ADSL modem/router and set it into bridge mode to use only as a modem? I would have done this with the Home Hub but I'm told it has no bridge mode.

0 Ratings