cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

TP Link C80 connecting to BT Fibre with BT Halo 1

Hi, I'm trying to set up the C80 router to improve our broadband.  I have BT Fibre Halo 1 and have followed the instructions but I can't get the internet light to come on.  Can anyone help - are there other settings I need to change? I really do need a dummies guide please!!!   Thanks.  

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: TP Link C80 connecting to BT Fibre with BT Halo 1

@Clairezzzz 

The TP-Link C80 is a router not a modem/router so unless you have full fibre or a separate modem then you can't use it I'm afraid.

If you have the above then you need a username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and a password of , let's say, "BT".

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Do you have full fibre to your house and thus have an optical modem (ONT) or is your broadband delivered via the phone master socket?

If the latter, you will need a separate modem as the TP Link C80 is just a router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

We have a BT Hub - I thought this was also a modem? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

60D46A98-1E20-4D8F-AB63-8C2B17C2FFC9.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

The BT hub is a modem/router, it doesn't have a modem only mode. You can use the C80 as a wireless access point by disabling DHCP on it, giving it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub (192.168.1.10 for example) and connecting it to the hub LAN port to LAN port.

If you want to use it in full router mode it is more complicated.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Thanks - so is that a solution? Could it be done bearing in mind I'm not particularly techie....

Or should I buy a separate modem and not use the BT modem/router at all?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

What are you actually trying to achieve?  Once we know what it is exactly that you a trying to do, further advice can be given.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

I want a better wifi signal in my house - for example my son doesn't get wifi in his bedroom and the PS4 "lags" a lot.  

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Replacing the hub with a different router in the same location is unlikely to improve wifi coverage.

The simplest solution is to use powerline adapter hotspots which use your mains wiring to extend the Ethernet ports and provide a wifi hotspot. They will also provide Ethernet ports in the bedroom which will be a better connection than wifi.

BT supply them but i would recommend TP Link ones. You connect one 'master' device to the BT hub and then as many slave modules as you require to provide coverage. They come as  1+n packs of devices.

Have a look at https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

The TL WPA4220 KIT or TL WPA4220 TKIT would be suitable depending on how many hotspots you wanted.

0 Ratings