cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

TP-Link RE300 Range Extender & Smart Hub Issues

I've recently installed a range extender so I can get a signal to my garage. All worked okay for a week or so but has now started to flag up IP issues. Please see attached picture for details. Basically it works okay for a day then I can't log on to the extended network, getting an 'IP Configuration Failure' error.

Only way I can find to sort this is to restart the BT router, but that's obviously not a long term solution.

Please help!

All.JPG

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: TP-Link RE300 Range Extender & Smart Hub Issues

@Craigdm66 

Welcome to this user forum.

The default gateway address is wrong.

I suggest that you configure the extender with static network settings. Use the option to specify the network settings.

IP address 192.168.1.50

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS 192.168.1.254

I have specified an IP address outside of the DHCP range, to avoid it clashing with any other device.

Also, make sure you disable smart setup on the home hub.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've updated the extender as you suggest and will report back if this cures my woes!

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

@Keith_Beddoe 

I tried the setting as your suggested and it worked fine for a day, but now when I try to log into the extended network I get a connection, but without internet.

Any more ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

No really. Wireless extenders are never the best solution, and are usually unreliable and reduce throughput by about half.

Separate wireless hotspots with a different SSID, are normally the best option, without resorting to a wireless mesh.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

0 Ratings