Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PendragonUK
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

TP-Link TL-WR940N with infinity

Go to solution

My BT Home Hub router "experancing wifi problems" so I picked up an inexpensive TP-Link one to replace it. Infity requires a PPPoE enabled router and that is supported.

So with the VDSL modem linked to the BTHomeHub everything works but swapping in the new router it is failing to properly connect to the internet propper. My wired desktop is reporting the connection is "limited" My phone connecting over Wifi gets to an odd BT landing page with a wall of text that is of little use.

So to clarify the existing BT VDSL modem is connected to my phone line and has not been touched. I'm just swapping the router.

This is what I could find on the subject from BT LINK I have followed these instructions as best I can.

If anyone could shed some light and help me out that would be great.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: TP-Link TL-WR940N with infinity

Go to solution

Does it have a WAN port to connect your modem?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PendragonUK
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Yes it dose have a WAN port.

Here is a link to the spec of the router LINK

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Eventually had found spec so are you connecting to wan 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PendragonUK
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

I simplay shut everything down, unplugged the red network cable from the HomeHub and plugged into the WAN port of the TP-Link router. Went to the router settings, it detected the type of connection (PPPoE) entered the user name and none password from the BT site. Restarted everything and the router "thinks" it has a good connection but any device connected through it can't get onto the net. Could it be a dns issue? have I missed something?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

I assume that you have the white Openreach modem?

The instructions on that BT page refer to an ADSL modem, not a wireless router.

From my website.

Infinity uses PPPoE. (Point To Point Protocol Over Ethernet)

If you use a different router with Infinity, then you need to make sure that the authentication is set to PPPoE.
You can use a user name of broadbanduser@btbroadband.com and a password of bt

MTU Size: no 1492

0 Ratings
Highlighted
PendragonUK
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply, as prevousely stated in my posts I have done most these things. I will have the check out the MTU size settings and get back to you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Make sure that the network settings are configured to get the DNS servers automatically from BT.

There should be a status page on the router to say what the current broadband IP address and DNS setting are.

0 Ratings
PendragonUK
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Here is a dump of screen shots and log files...

Screenshots  http://imgur.com/a/DPzwT

Syslog https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6EA8AEC1AF7D73BC!208341&authkey=!ACEqbD9A-DZI7no&ithint=file%2...

As you can imagine each time I try something and come back to the forum I'm having to swap the router each time. Sometimes answers are unread and I'm responding to the one before....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

You primary and secondary DNS are set to OpenDNS, not BT, which is why you are seeing that strange text message.

Its telling you that you are trying to connect to a DNS server which does not belong to BT.

You will need to change the entries on both

You cannot use other DNS servers unless both BT Protect, and BT parental controls are fully uninstalled.

Remove the two optional DNS server addresses, and you will then get BTs own DNS servers.

If that does not work, then use a couple of these.

194.72.9.34      194.72.9.38
194.74.65.68     194.74.65.69
194.72.0.98      194.72.0.114
62.6.40.162     62.6.40.178

0 Ratings