cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andypurcell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

TP-Link issue

Today I got my TP-Link 500Mbps powerline adapters, and TP-Link Gigabit Switch also.

After installation, everything connected to the network and to Infinity no problem.

Within one hour of browsing the internet and doing some searches etc, I lost my connection to the internet twice while doing google search. It just sort of timed out as if something had overloaded the connection while doing the searches.

Anyone came across this or got any advice on the subject? Obviously I won't really know if the issue has fixed; I will just have to assume it has been fixed if the connection doesn't time out again.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
andypurcell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: TP-Link issue

Ok it has happened again now, same kind of overload feel to it. Has anybody else ran into this difficulty?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

How are you connecting to the Homehub. Wireless, cable or powerline adaptors?

If you are connecting to the Homehub via the powerline adaptors it could be that one of them is faulty or there might be some sort of power spike. Is something switching on or off such as central heating, fridge or freezer when the problem happens?

I doubt it would be “overloaded”  as the adaptors are capable of transferring a lot of data.

Have you tried connecting directly to the Homehub to see if the problem is with the hub?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
andypurcell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I'd confidently say it's not the HH3 because I've had no such issues on GigE or Wireless when using my laptop on Infinity the past few weeks.

I set up my powerline adapters and Gigabit switch today and it's happened three times so far whilst surfing the net; I've been loading a few webpages and it's kind of timed out. Then I've unplugged the Ethernet cable from my laptop to the switch and put it back in again a few seconds later. This seems to fix the problem and not a huge inconvenience but obviously I'd rather not have to do that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Can you take the switch out of the equation by plugging directly into the powerline adaptor to see if the switch is at fault.

andypurcell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

It has only happened 3 times in the 8hours I've had it up and running but I could bypass the Switch to determine if it still crops up now and then. Thanks for the tip, I suppose a Switch for £15 ending up being the issue isn't the end of the world

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 7

Also, don't plug the powerline into half a twin socket with computer equipment (such as router or modem) plugged into the other half. I didn't believe the first post I saw that said this, but it was right, it can considerably lower available speed. I don't know if it could be responsible for your disconnections, though.
0 Ratings