cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TheoJSH13
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

TP Link powerline adapter disconnects my BT home Hub 5, anyone know why?

I recently bought a TP link powerline adapter (model TL-WPA4220) to hopefully provide a better internet upstairs, my Home hub 5 is located 1 floor below on the ground level.

Although after setting up every 10-20 minutes the interent connection will just cut out. I've looked on forums and someone mentioned that it could be the powerline adapter; that has an ethernet cable plugged into the modem is plugged in too close to the modem so I moved it further away.

After resetting the TP links and linking them again it seemed to work for a few hours but after I went out and came back I went to use the internet and low and behold it was back to my original problem.

Setup: Modem has ethenet cable attached to TP Link (Main)- Sends wireless signal to TP Link (Adapter)- TP Link (Adapter) has ethernet cable plugged into my Xbox One.

Has anyone encountered this and found a solution, could really do with a hand here? 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: TP Link powerline adapter disconnects my BT home Hub 5, anyone know why?

Here's the TP-Link troubleshooting help:- Powerline Help

Might help

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

See Interference to FTTC broadband caused by powerline adapters or broadband extenders

You will need to connected to BT Broadband to access any links I post which are hosted on my website..
If you are connected to BT Broadband, and you cannot access them, then please let me know on this thread. Thanks.

gibbylinks
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I'd also check that the homeplugs are running the latest Firmware, there were some released last month. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/TL-WPA4220.html#Firmware

and are you using the latest Utility software to access the homeplugs?  There is a "power saving" mode that might be causing issues if it's turned on. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/TL-WPA4220.html#Utility

Hope that helps.

TheoJSH13
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi Tim,

Gave it a go sadly the troubleshooting video didn't seem to cover my problem, did try following the setup video again after resetting the devices but no use sadly.

Clearly their videos on the website aren't the for that particular product because even the configuration video can't be done with my particular TP-Link product. As when plugged in and all set up my PC can't find the extender wirelessly to set up through utility ot their online website.

Starting to think their product is a bit of a joke really...

Thanks for the advice though 🙂

0 Ratings
TheoJSH13
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hi Gibby,

All the firmware is updated and I did try turning the 'low power mode' off but it didn't change anything unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice though 🙂

0 Ratings
TheoJSH13
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Hi Keith,

I did see your solution on a previous forum when researching my problem. Unfortunately for me I don't have the same product as the person who came up with that solution so I can't change  'LOWER PLC-TO-VDSL INTERFERANCE MODE'.

I'm guessing that the problem may stem from your idea of radio frequency conflict. As its the only reasoning i've seen for my exact problem. Sadly I don't have a solution.

Thanks for your help 🙂 Although I do think my product is past fixing with my particular router and wiring.

0 Ratings