cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

TP-link Mr 6400 as a backup for vdsl?? BT Smart hub 2 WAN port config

Hi everyone, I really need some help here!!

I've purchsted a TP link Mobile SIM Router with 4 Lan Ports and wifi 

I can configure the router as a standalone unit, and connect to the WiFi speed tested at 10Mbit Down, 2 Mbit UP

I would like to use this router with my BT Smart hub 2 on my Halo 3 BT Connection as a backup!

I know I can replicate the routing and disable the bt smart hub 2, but there must be a way to utilize the WAN port for this feature/function, most routers can support this if a WAN port is accessible / usable.

So my question is:- How on earth can I access the WAN port and it's settings

Or ditch the bt smart hub and use a dreytek

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: TP-link Mr 6400 as a backup for vdsl?? BT Smart hub 2 WAN port config

The smart hub 2 WAN port is enabled by going to Advanced Settings > Broadband > Full Fibre (FTTP) mode and setting the status to ON. However, it will be pointless as there is no configuration possible and will just have the BT PPPoE details hard coded.

It is also a toggle so you either have a DSL input or WAN input from a modem or ONT. You can't have WAN and DSL port enabled at the same time so you couldn't use it to automatically fail over to WAN if the DSL failed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

ok, so forgetting the WAN port what would be the best workaround?
the bt hub is set as 192.168.77.1 (Primary)
I've configured the tp-link router as a gateway on 192.168.77.2
my best idea was to setup 2 network address settings on the PCs with both gateways.
I'm a little limited as this setup may end up being duplicated in a private business next month, and with a sim deal as good as this it's worth a try (Unlimited Data on 3 for £12.25 inc p/m)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Probably as good a method as any. The hub isn't really suited to failover except when using the BT Hybrid connect system.

0 Ratings