cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bali99
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Teenager stopping me from accessing router

Like many people I have a battle with a teenager over his internet use (please no parenting advice reason and discussion is already being tried) and he seems to be now preventing me from accessing the router.

We tried setting MAC filtering to limit his time but he easily reset the router to get round this. Having left things to cool down for a while I have recently tried to get back onto the router to reset things before locking the router away in a cupboard so it couldn't be reset.

However he seems to have taken control of the router and I am not able to log into the router at all. I had problems connecting wireless previously so had been connecting with LAN cable. Now it seems that he has somehow blocked me from accessing it with a cable - when I type the Ip address or the bthomehub address into my browser it just hangs. I know I should be able to reset the router to get back on but I don't want to do this until I know I can solve the problem.

Can anyone suggest what he might be doing to stop me accessing the router? Also when I do manage to reset it and gain access and lock the router away is there anything else he could do to circumvent the controls?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Teenager stopping me from accessing router

Try this link to the home hub instead http://192.168.1.254

Sometimes homehub.home does not work.

Otherwise you will just have to reset the hub to factory default.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

I would do as Keith suggested and factory reset router using recessed button back then change administration and wifi passwords then lock it out of reach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bali99
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Keith_beddoe, imjolly

thank you for your replies. If you read my post you will see that I have tried using the ip address http://192.168.1.254 to access the router but this is not working. I know that I can reset the router and will do this but I want to find out how I am being prevented from accessing it now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Does anyone know the the new administrative password? I assume that you did change it from the default value?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Probably changed the IP address of the router. What is your gateway address now? You can type ipconfig at a command prompt to find out. That will be the address of the router.

0 Ratings
bali99
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

@licquorice wrote:

Probably changed the IP address of the router. What is your gateway address now? You can type ipconfig at a command prompt to find out. That will be the address of the router.

I wondered about that but I still get a ping back from 192.168.1.254

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Once you get access to the Homehub again, which will probably necessitate a factory reset, you will need to set up a new admin password to prevent access to it however as you know this is easily over come with a factory reset.

If you do decide to lock the Homehub away in a cupboard and assuming you are disconnecting it from the telephone socket, all your son needs to do to overcome this is to buy a cheap router and connect it up. 

If you are using ADSL (normal) broadband he can get one for about £20 and just connect it into any telephone extension socket in the house and he will be online in minutes.

If you are on VDSL (Infinity)  he would need to pay about £60 for a VDSLModem/router and while it should be plugged into the master socket it will usually work of telephone extension sockets with just a slight drop in speed.

They are both easily configured to be used.

To prevent that from happening you would need to keep the Homehub plugged in and switched on.

To prevent his accessing the Internet and assuming he is using wireless devices, you will need to use MAC filtering or change the wireless passkey at the times you want him to be disconnected. You will need to change it back again when you allow him access.

This however won't prevent him using BTWifi-Fon that is transmitted from the Homehub if he has your username and password. If he does you will need to change the password.

It is not an easy problem to resolve so the only other thing I can suggest, apart from breaking his fingers, is to remove his devices and lock them away until he gets the message about who is boss and who pays the bills.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@bali99 wrote:

Keith_beddoe, imjolly

thank you for your replies. If you read my post you will see that I have tried using the ip address http://192.168.1.254 to access the router but this is not working. I know that I can reset the router and will do this but I want to find out how I am being prevented from accessing it now.

a factory reset will give you access as that will bring hub back to how you received it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bali99
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Thank you for your info. It really is a difficult problem to solve and about time ISP's provided more comprehensive parental controls including time limiting. Many parents have same problems.
0 Ratings