cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cubeman
Message 1 of 7

Terrible Home Hub 5 speeds

I recently "upgraded" to a HH5 from a HH4, I am on Unlimited Infinity 2. My speeds before were around 40-60Mb (estimated 68) but given that

a) recently I have noticed my speeds have been fluctuating wildly even with the HH4 dropping to around 20Mb sometimes, not sure if to do with the recent weather but noticed nothing reported in my area. Signal strength could be better. And;

b) I figured I should future proof myself as the HH5 was quite cheap for AC and apparently has a 3x3 antenna array rather than the 2x2 of the HH4. Is the 3x3 correct?

After plugging in the HH5 I managed to a maximum of around 6-10Mb. I am connecting with N only.

Things I've tried:

- I used my phone to check it wasn't a signal problem and that also showed around 10Mb right next to the router (showed 70 when next to the HH4!).

- Nothing else is connected to the HH5

- BT diagnostics show connection to the flat is absolutely fine (replugging the HH4 confirms this) but results as above

- Restarted/reset everything

- Set a separate 5Ghz SSID with a fixed channel, no luck

- Checked the parental controls wasn't interfering with anything, they are definitely set to off

Before I return and get a refund was hoping if someone can help me!

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
dfenceman
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Terrible Home Hub 5 speeds

Hi cubeman,

You need to post on the infinity forum.

This forum is for ADSL/Copper BB Speed/Connection Issues

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

have you tried changing wireless channels also what are your speed like with a wired connection
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Make sure that "Smart Set Up" is turned off

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/c/

0 Ratings
cubeman
Message 5 of 7

Yes, and yes to changing the channel. I used inSSIDer to set to the least congested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

When I had similar problems - having deliberately chosen an apparently-unused channel to begin with - I eventually found I got the best speeds on the most-congested channel.  Apart from the possibility of some sort of interference which wasn't showing up on isSSIDer, that makes no sense to me at all - but its not broke so I'm not going to try to fix it !

0 Ratings
boe323
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

I feel your pain lol... all my wireless connection were limited to 13meg or near it, i did what someone suggested and manually set channels, didnt bother splitting the bands has that doesnt make any difference, infact its better to leave the bands as one so dual devices can swap between them, anyway after manually seting channels i was able to get nearly full speed on 5ghz but still pooh speed on 2.4gz although was a lot better... i got half my speed on 2.4ghz, and yes... choosing the overlapping congested channels works loads better than the channels that arent overlapping which makes no sense at all.

0 Ratings