cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Terrible connection

I have recently had a lot of problems with my internet connection both with streaming and gaming. Unable to watch an online film and games so laggy that impossible to play. This mainly happens at evening and clears in the early hours but lately its been happening all day.

Don't really want to call Bt help desk as they are usually useless and after previous problems in the past were never resolved I have given up on them. I know the drill with these calls off by heart these days so please don't advise me to change wi-fi channel etc because I have tried all that with no luck. (and i'm on my 8th router)

Screenshot (1).png

I am using Ethernet cables to connect on all devices and have had Openreach engineers in the past turn up when my internet is working fine to tell me just that. Its a pity they wont come in the evening.

Enclosed is a ping plotter graph of last nights test to one of my gaming servers I also ran tests to google which were similar.

When i got home tonight internet was horrific again but it has just cleared up (sort of) although I did nothing to effect that.

If anyone can explain whats happening on the pingplotter graph I would be very appreciative.

Cheers,

Jason

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Terrible connection

Are you finding the problems with connection is at peak time but appears ok at off peak?  Suggesting congestion

which exchange and cab are you on

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I am on Cinderford exchange but my cabinet is in Littledean.
Not sure how to find cabinet number.

I'm not generally in day time so mostly test at peak times which are terrible. My kids reckon its bad when they get home from school.
Does the graph actually indicate a problem?
I have had this on and off for 2 years but got sick of reporting it.
Openreach say its fine.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Cabinet 3

Would congestion make my connection totally unusable?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

congestion normally reduces download speed during peak time and then connection returns to expected speed during off peak

you can check your exchange and cab by entering your phone number.   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Is there any noise on your phone line  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Found out its cabinet 3.
Line is pretty much silent.
Is going from my normal 15mb to being unable to even run a speedtest or load a web page at peak times considered acceptable?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

So you are on Cinderford cab 3?  Is that shown by checker?

so is speed ok at off peak ?  Say up till 4pm and then bad then ok again from about 11pm

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Yes cab 3 shown on checker.

I would say generally yes, but also add that sometimes at off peak it has intermittent problems.

Tonight it was also very bad when I got home 17:00 then an hour later it was ok for a short period then returned to being bad most of tonight.

I never had this problem when I first had fibre all was good, its become a real problem the last 2 years and is at its worst now.

I don't know how to get BT/Openreach to investigate an intermittent problem because if an engineer turns up to test it and its fine at the time, the fault case is closed.

And this goes on and on.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Sounds like congestion and getting engineer visits will not solve the problem. As this is school holidays peak time is basically like a weekend and lasts all day

i have asked forum mods to check your cab for problems and the will post here

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Thank you very much for looking into my problem.

0 Ratings