cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Terrible wifi, terrible service

Our BT wifi has never worked properly - for years it has dropped out - doesn't reach most of the house and then when our Sky system started using WIFI the TV often didn't work. Engineers have come out many times and recently we were given a new modem which has fixed the TV problem but now the actual wifi drops out all the time. Our son has moved out because he can't play his computer games anymore, frequently important zoom calls for work are interrupted and I have to use 4G most of the time. Every time I try to cancel our service and move to another company I am passed from pillar to post and told I can only leave if I pay £350 cancellation fee and if I don't pay it the debt collectors will come round. So as a consumer I have no rights. Why should I pay for a service that doesn't work and why should I be penalized for simply wanting WiFi? Any suggestions as to what to do would be most gratefully received.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Terrible wifi, terrible service

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Have you tried selecting the channels manually instead of auto?  I would use a wifi analyser on your phone and see what channels are in use and select a free or less congested channel  I would also ensure you don't use channel 36 for 5ghz as that is used by SKYQ

have you turned of smart setup  

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings