cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AjayK48
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Text back on 61998 after reporting a fault

Not really sure where to post this so apologies if it is in the wrong place.

When reporting a fault with my Broadband and an engineer is booked to visit I get a confirmation text back confirming the appointment. It comes from number 61998 and asks you to reply if you need a call back, need to change the appointment / cancel etc.

When I use this facility and reply to the message on 61998 I just get a message "Sending Failed" each time. I mentioned it to the call centre and they stated everything was working ok and they had not had this reported before. I have had exactly the same problem 3 times now in trying to respond to texts from BT on different occasions.

Has anyone else had this problem. My mobile phone is on Virgin Media PAYG.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Rottie
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Text back on 61998 after reporting a fault

@AjayK48 wrote:

Not really sure where to post this so apologies if it is in the wrong place.

When reporting a fault with my Broadband and an engineer is booked to visit I get a confirmation text back confirming the appointment. It comes from number 61998 and asks you to reply if you need a call back, need to change the appointment / cancel etc.

When I use this facility and reply to the message on 61998 I just get a message "Sending Failed" each time. I mentioned it to the call centre and they stated everything was working ok and they had not had this reported before. I have had exactly the same problem 3 times now in trying to respond to texts from BT on different occasions.

Has anyone else had this problem. My mobile phone is on Virgin Media PAYG.

Thank you.

It's most likely your network that's not allowing you to send those texts. I used to have the same problem if I tried texting certain numbers, from my old phone, which was PAYG on Three.

0 Ratings
ChrisKFP
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I am having the same problem, I need to reply to the text but I get 'sending failed' each time.  I'll have to phone BT tomorrow so will mention it too.  Am on Orange/EE PAYG.

0 Ratings
ChrisKFP
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

After checking elsewhere online, I wrote a new text and sent it to that number rather than replying to the BT text, for some reason that has worked.  I have no idea why this makes a difference!

0 Ratings
BenGun
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I managed to reply to a text from 61998 but was surprised to see that it had cost me 20p!   Anybody know why I was charged when part of my package is unlimited free texts.  Closer inspection showed that I was charged 2*10p for the single short text.

0 Ratings
Julesjam1
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Cannot believe BT charge a premium rate text service that isn't included in mobile packages for
replying to their text for a fault. Very dissapointed
0 Ratings
MrBeanz
Message 7 of 7

Broadband went down over Christmas as a result of floods in York - reported and said yes to text update (mistake!). So BT sent a premium rate text from 61998 (10p) to tell me they've fixed the broadband which I'd already found out as my computer had already re-connected.

The amount is small but no doubt BT makes a nice profit from thousands of these. I'm not aware of being told the response was premium rate and that my mobile provider (Three) might charge.

Just leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. So BT charges customers as part of the process of fixing a problem - yes the floods were not BT's fault but inadequately protecting essential equipment in a flood risk area is poor management.

0 Ratings