I have just registered to the forum - but my brain is tired after using the 'Chat line' However after getting a lovely helpful young lady I think/hope that the issue will be resolved. My phone line was making a terrible noise and I lost Internet use aswell. Did all of the tests as suggested in the phone book but nothing worked until I removed the cover off the main socket and replugged everything back in. The problem apparently is due to faulty wiring inside the house - and the cost will be £150 Wonderful news but I hope that we will not be charged this and hope that the technician can work his wonders. We shall see. He's due next week and I'll let you know the result of that - good or bad.