Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wookie999
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

The 'WiFi Problem' - Sabotage ?

Just running this past everyone.

This nationwide problem of a 'need to switch-off the Hub' (all variants) at the mains and then on again, just to get WiFi reconnection seems to have come from nowhere quite recently.  It hits all variants of the Hub as far as I can read.

On a personal basis, I had an old trusty Home-Hub-3 that was working just grand until roundabout October (a recent Firmware 'update' a coincidence?) then developed this infuriating problem that just could not be fixed, not even by changing the Router Wifi Channel numbers.

A 'new' Home-Hub-3 was sent.    This gave me a like-for-like test of a new unused version of the older tech, to see if the same problem developed (to rule-out any claim of the problem being physically 'worn out' hardware). Sure enough, after it had updated itself, same curious problem of these WiFi disconnections commenced...

I smell a rat.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: The 'WiFi Problem' - Sabotage ?

I too had a problem with WiFi, albeit on the Hub 6, but I'm not sure why BT would sabotage their own products in this way. The only result would be more calls to customer services, more bad press and an even greater reduction in reputation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

More likely is that you have something interfering with your wireless connection, Did you try all 13 wireless channels?

0 Ratings
Wookie999
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Yes, tried all 13.  I got very fit running up and down the stairs turning the router plug on and off.

Fwiw, I have spent hours watching WiFi graphs around my neighbourhood.  Loads of various vendor's router SSID signals, dancing around channels like a game of hop-scotch.

I don't know if it's congestion, all I know is 'something' happened around October and I had a new and new-unsed version of the same Hub - that both developed the same problem after they got the same firmware in their guts. So it was not an issue of 'worn out' old hardware.

Somehting new is here, and it sucks.

0 Ratings
Wookie999
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Not saying this was any intentional cause by BT or the other vendors.

Might be a third-party.

I note the Websites selling these blasted WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS Jammers seem to be going from strength to strength.   They will get someone killed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

What is this nationwide problem of which you speak?  My second-hand (car boot fair) Hub 5 is working just fine at the moment.  Apart from a factory reset when I first got it, I haven't had to reboot it since.  It just works.

0 Ratings
lizzylizzard
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

You could try a different router and see if that shows the same problem and that would then indicate its some thing interfearing with the signal or if not  its the BT home hub.

0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

its not recent for me I've got June 2016 firmware and its been doing it to mine for ages.

0 Ratings