cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Third Party Modem/Router

Go to solution

Hello

I've read a few posts but just wanted some clarification please. I have BT Full Fibre 900 with the Smart Hub 2 and one wifi disc.

I also have quite a lot of "smart" home devices and would like to put them on a separate VLAN.

My first question is around the current Smart Hub - I can't find any settings for VLANs so assume it isn't possible and therefore I would need to but a new third party device?

Secondly, am I correct in thinking that I have FTTP?

And lastly (assuming I do have FTTP) I don't necessarily need a third party modem, I could get something like the TP-Link AX5400 and connect it directly to the ONT via an ethernet cable?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Third Party Modem/Router

Go to solution

The Smart Hub 2 doesn't support VLANs, so you would need a 3rd party device.

If you're on Full Fibre 900 then that is indeed FTTP.

Yes, you can connect a 3rd party router direct to the ONT.

Note that if you have Digital Voice, this requires the SH2 to be connected directly to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Note also that your black complete WiFi disc will only work with the BT Smart Hub2 and not with a third party router

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Thank you so much - and I don't use digital voice so that's a bonus 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
I thought as much, I'll see how a new router behaves before deciding on another mesh solution
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

There's an awful lot of guff talked about VLANs on various forums.  A big issue is that different smart devices handle their control data differently.  So some devices are fine being on a separate VLAN as the controlling device, while others will just plain refuse to cooperate.  Also, once you start using VLANs you need to document what you are doing, because when something goes wrong in 6 months it can be a pain to figure out exactly how you set everything up!
You've got to be sensible about security!  It's often the most paranoid who do something daft and end up getting hacked!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I agree about documentation, as a retired IT pro it was both the bane of my life and the saviour!

For some background, my home network has around 30 devices including PCs, tablets, phones, smart TV's, Sky boxes, Sonos speakers, Amazon Echo's, a PS4, printer and NAS. In addition there are around another 20 smart plugs, lights, bridges etc.

Even next to the main Smart Hub 2 router, I don't get better than 600Mb download on WiFi and about 250Mb next to the mini disc in a room not 20 feet away. I would expect more from Full Fibre 900.

The BT hub doesn't support any way of segregating traffic or devices so I'm thinking of replacing it with something that can. VLANs are what I have worked with in the past but I'm now seeing references to " IoT network & Device Isolation" in specs on, for example, the tp-link Deco XE75 so I am hoping that something like this can improve things.

I'm not asking for any recommendations on third party devices as such, just advice that I am looking at this in the right way.

Or maybe I ditch all my WiFi based smart stuff and replace with Zigbee 😞

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

What has helped me to stretch my 500mbps further around the home is to invest in a WiFi 6 router, that also has support for DFS channels and 160mhz!

The DFS channels can transmit at higher speeds than the usual 5ghz channels can because they aren't as congested and they also transmit at a higher power, but the catch is that you have to make sure that there are no radar stations, bases or airports nearby as DFS uses the same frequencies as radar. Also your devices have to support DFS too, as not all of them do.

I used to get 150-220mbps on my WiFi 6 laptop that is one thick wall and 2 thin walls away from my router, now I get something like 430-480 having just switched over to the DFS channels. What helps is that my router (Acting as an access point to the Smart Hub that handles all the other stuff like DHCP) is also 4x4 Mu-Mimo with 8 antennas. Even though nothing I have uses 4x4, let alone 3x3, the extra antennas and streams available from the router help immensely.

Also we have WiFi 6e and Wifi 7, both supporting the new 6ghz band, which will further help to achieve 1gbps+ speeds around the home. The catch with 6ghz is that you have to be even closer to the router to use it, as it does not transmit through obstacles as well as 5 and 2.4ghz do.

0 Ratings