cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ratinho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Third Party Router Options

Looking into getting a good router to hook up to my openreach modem. Just received a homehub5 but using it over the past week, it really is a poor piece of kit as a home router. Works fine in my office upstairs and the connection was solid in there, but you could walk round the corner and immediately have the laptop drop to half speed, reach the bottom of the stairs and connection gone completely!

Now my homehub3 is fine, really solid, gets me a 30mb~ connection wirelessly downstairs most of the time but i was just wondering if there were any reasonably priced options out there that would improve on this? As i mentioned, already have the openreach modem so i think that gives me more choice if i did want a change?

Cheers

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Third Party Router Options

You can use any router with a WAN port, often called Cable Routers

The choice depends on your requirements

Kieth Beddoe has collected some ideas here http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3replace.html

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Ratinho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Fair enough. Guess it was more a general enquiry here based on what people using BT have done, would imagine a fair few people have to be using their own routers out there?

Think the wireless range is always going to be the most important thing for me, as i need the router set up in my office for the wired work connection, and am always on my laptop in the lounge downstairs. Have powerlink adapters set up to hook the PS4, etc up by ethernet but i don't want wires draped across my lounge to the laptop too.

ahh thanks for the link, will have a look now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Your wireless range problem may be due to using 5GHz on the HH5 in place of 2.4GHz on the HH3.

No reason you can't plug a Homehub into the powerlink adaptor in the lounge to provide extra wifi strength.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Ratinho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Oh really? I did not think about that at all.

Cheers bud, will have a play with it this afternoon

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

You'll need to connect your  devices that can use both frequencies to both SSids if you want them to be able to use both frequencies.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

If you do decide to plug a Homehub into the powerlink adaptor you will have to change it's IP address and turn off DHCP on it though 😉

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

There are lots of good third party routers around, I use the TP-Link TL-WR2543ND, which I got for about £50 online. I think it's superceded now by a newer model but it's really good, takes away the numerous homehub deficiencies.

Looking at ebuyer, I think the TL-WDR3600 is about the nearest equivalent, and is now simultaneous dual-band

0 Ratings
Ratinho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Picked this one up due to it being a fairly risk free investment at £50 (the 3600) and a lot of positive reviews all over the net, and it's been great mate, thanks.

Actually thnk the HH3 is the best router BT have put out there, just think it was feeling the effects of being turned on for basically 2 years solid.

0 Ratings