cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Third Party Routers on Ultrafast Fiber

Hi Guys I'm not sure this is the right board but worth a try.

I have the BT service Ultrafast Fiber Plus. I want to use a third party router like the Asus AX11000 for example however I understand most routers dont have a DSL input.   The problem is the Smart Hub 2 doesnt have  a modem only mode, which in my opinion (and many others I've seen on the net) is ridiculous.

From my understanding I would need to get a separate modem which would have to be a G. Fast modem. Is this right?

Does anyone have any kind of suggestions as to where I can get one?  Or what I can do? It's really frustrating that BT seem to be almost forcing me I use their own hub.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Third Party Routers on Ultrafast Fiber

Standalone G.Fast modems are rare, however the ASUS DSL AC88U is a combined G.Fast modem router.

Have a look at the Zyxel XMG101-S10A

Not sure how you figure that its BT's fault that manufacturers don't make G.Fast modems!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

BT are providing a router/modem for you (which is normal) but frustrating though it is BT can hardly be blamed for third parties not making a compatible modem.

The only one I know of which is easy to obtain is the Asus DSL-AC88,  I have heard of ones available via import (modem only) but I couldn't figure out how to actually buy one.

Also I understand Draytek are bringing one out soon, but i have yet to see anew one available.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions.
Im not saying its strictly BT's fault but it doesnt help that they no longer supply the open reach modem, nor do they have a modem only option on their smart hub 2 like other providers for example Virgin do.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

That's for a Business Hub, not a Home Hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Read it again, its implying that there is a "hidden" option within the normal residential home hub, which is accessible  by altering the last part of the web manager url.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

I still think that the hidden menu is for the business hub6 rather than home hub, but happy to be proved wrong.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

The business hubs can be configured tor bridge mode, already.

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35226/~/how-do-i-enable-bridge-mode-on-my-bt...

All that the post by @technononsense  is saying, is that that option also exists on the normal residential hub, except that its not on the menu,  you have to access it by changing the url.

It needs someone with a smart hub, to actually see if that option appears, without actually pressing the "go" button, as that would disconnect their connection.

Perhaps someone with a spare hub could try it, it would be interesting to see if it works.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

I've had a look at this and I'm pretty sure it's for the other hub as you said. Unless theres another way of getting to the "hidden menu" I dont think it's going to work unfortunately 😞 

0 Ratings