cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superuser
Beginner
Message 11 of 21

Re: Third party router with FTTP

my speed sometimes drops down to 250 at times but its a shame that the signal is so weak on 5hz but most of my kit is wired in, my router is the r8000 tri-band so if your thinking of changing then at least you will know it will run those speeds you have
0 Ratings
Sumpte
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

The R8000 has a different processor (though, on the face of it, it's 1Ghz dual core instead of the R7800's 1.7Ghz dual core?) so it must be able to handle processing the modem data better. Right now I'm managing OK with the SmartHub, but good to know the higher end Netgear's might be able to handle the speed.

0 Ratings
wii89
Beginner
Message 13 of 21

I am using the ONT connecting to a Unifi Gateway USG-3 using PPPoE connection and its working perfectly no speed issues for me. 

0 Ratings
1nf0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Going to upgrade shortly. Want to ditch the Bt router for the same reasons. How are you getting on now. Bridging from the Bt router is a non starter for me. 

ive got a ASUS RT-AC86u which is beefy enough. Hoping it’ll be plug and play. Did changing the MTU help. 

0 Ratings
markbloke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 21

With regard to the R7800, I'm using one now with BT 330Mbps FTTP and am experiencing no problems at all achieving full speed. Perhaps the firmware has been updated since this thread started.

0 Ratings
CarlyNita12
Beginner
Message 16 of 21

Hi

i am about to try and install USG 

what credentials did you use for FTTP

any tips?

0 Ratings
CarlyNita12
Beginner
Message 17 of 21

Can you guide me on install of USG?
0 Ratings
wii89
Beginner
Message 18 of 21

Just use 

username, bthomehub@btbroadband.com, you can leave the password blank.  or use bthomehub

0 Ratings
CarlyNita12
Beginner
Message 19 of 21

Thank you

any technical issues to worry about?

I have those details in the USG and set it to pppoe 

dod I have to do anything.. power cycle ont or anything?

0 Ratings
wii89
Beginner
Message 20 of 21

connect your usg wan 1 port to the fiber modem on the wall, and Lan 1 to your switch or pc

enter the settings for ppoe connection and wait a few mins and it will connect. I have the same setup and its working perfectly  

0 Ratings