Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sumpte
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Third party router with FTTP

Hello

I recently had FTTP/H installed, and I'm able to get pretty much full speed with the provided BT router (average around 310mbps down / 48mpbs up). However, as soon as I connect my own router - a Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 - my speed drops to 4mbps down / 0.8mbps up. This is, quite obviously, very wrong.

The router has detected the PPPoE modem (the ONT) correctly and I've used the username "btinternet@btbroadband.com" and password "BT", as others have suggested with FTTP broadband, but I can't get it to go any faster than this.

And yes, I have plenty of reasons not to use the BT hub - guest network, better wi-fi, much better security, etc.

Does anyone have experience setting up a third party router with FTTP, or run into this same problem?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Sumpte
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Third party router with FTTP

So...any ideas? I can't be the only person wanting to do this, and others seem to have done it successfully.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Bt usename is usually bthomehub@btbroadband.com with pasword bt

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

How are you measuring the speed, is it via a direct Ethernet cable from the router to your computer?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

0 Ratings
Sumpte
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for the replies, I've tried both those different username/password combos (bthomehub@btbroadband.com /homehub@btbroadband.com) with and without passwords. Unfortunately all of them connect but get the same speed, capped to about 5mbps download.

I'm measuring over a wired connection, and using the BT router plugged into the same line gets full speed, so no restriction there.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Not really sure, but I wonder if the MTU is set too high on the router, and you are getting packet fragmentation? Perhaps someone  with a bit more IP experience can help?

Other threads mention jumbo frames. Search the forum for FTTP.

Like https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/BT-300Mb-FTTP-Circuit-with-3rd-Party-Router/td-p/1711...

Similar issue?

0 Ratings
Sumpte
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Interesting find. So the Netgear had automaitcally set itself to 1492, which is the maximum it supports (as an experiment I went to the lowest possible - 616 - and it completely broke the connection).

I'll experiment with disabling firewall settings and see what happens.

Edit - I reset the router back to factory default, disabled NAT filtering, kept MTU at 1492, and it's now getting 97 / 37. Definitely an improvement but not the full speed, and barely above what VDSL would manage. What seems srange is that the bottleneck for such an expensive router would be this low.

0 Ratings
superuser
Message 9 of 13

I've just got 330 down and 50 up and using my Nighthawk router, if your using 2.4 then you won't get much over 80, switched to 5ghz and bang 330 only thing is signal is weaker
0 Ratings
Sumpte
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Interesting. I was testing on a wired (CAT6) connection, not the WiFi - which, yeah, is going to be limited on anything but the 5GHz channel. No matter what I did though, I could never get the native FTTP speed.

In the end, I simply turned the BT Router's WiFi off, and forwarded the connection via the DMZ option so it was basically acting like a bridge, and the R7800 still handled port forwarding. I only stopped when I ended up with some infrequent 'ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED" errors, though I'm still getting those now I've switched entirely back to the SmartHub.

0 Ratings