Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Third party routers

Hi All

i know this question has been asked many times before, but I am struggling with which router to go for if not the Smart Hub? 

Ive been using a TPLink ac1600 for a couple of weeks. It has a rock solid connection (which I have to say is wonderful and not something I used to see on the smart hub, which rebooted/dsl dropped every few days for some reason or other which didn’t affect my speeds, so I’m assuming they were maintenance drops or something) Unfortunately with this hub, and I’m not sure if it’s faulty or something, but I’ve noticed it takes an absolute age to pass from one band to the next. Not really an age, but long enough for my 3G to kick in momentarily. Is this normal or does it sound like it’s not quite right? I’ve split the bands so I know which is which and messed around till I think I’ve found the best signal/channel for each. But useage is a really jittery experience in a way that the Smart Hub wasn’t. It’s also very odd sometimes in that 2.4ghz will go really slow for some people in the house, while others have no problem. Toggling it Off and on again seems to shift the issue, but it’s a pain. 

Any hunches, or ideas as to what’s going on here? I was having problems with 2.4 ghz in general with my Smart Hub which is why I changed over in the first place, but then at that time, no one could connect to it, and we could only use the 5 ghz  when that dropped. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Third party routers

Can someone change the subject heading for this question please - it really should read "Third Party Router problems - any ideas or alternatives?"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

It a good idea to fix the wireless channel and not leave it on auto. Find the clearest channel, especially in the area which is getting a slow connection, as that is most likely near the source of interference. Auto setting only takes into account interference in the locality of the router.

Don`t be afraid to choose wireless channel 13, or even channels 5, 9 or 7.

Also make sure that devices either connect to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz but not both, otherwise you will get problems similar to that on the home hub with two bands in use. The SSIDs need to be different so that a device can be enabled for one band only.

Mobiles are best on 2.4GHz to prevent dropout. You can use 5GHz for things like Smart TVs which need more bandwidth, and stay in one place, although a wired connection is better. where possible.

This is especially an issue with Apple devices.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to stick to a single band router.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Thanks Keith. I've fixed the channels already. Fix the ssid? Most of my kit can only use 2.4. It's only the phones and Mac that can use 5 but they do that very well except up in the bedrooms when we have to switch to 2.4. Each band has a different name.
We have 6 houses crammed behind us and 4 close in front so the area here is quite congested. Most seem to be using channel 13 or 1 which is why I plumped for 6. But I could try 5 and see how that goes. Alexa which was great on the smart hub keeps dropping in and out of reception now which is irritating when listening to music. 2.4 in general seems a bit rubbish at the moment and I don't understand why. Nothing new in the house but I guess I have no idea what the rest of the neighbourhood has got
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

All you can do is to try and find the best channel out of the 13 channels available.