Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
womaz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 91 of 98

Re: Tidal drop outs and not finishing tracks

I have just had a look at the smart hub settings and cant find anything there

Also just thinking though if it was the MTU settings then would that not effect my portable player? This works great

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 92 of 98

Here is the web page that I have just put together, sorry if images are a bit large.

Changing the MTU

Have fun, I would try different values, starting with the maximum allowed, and see if it helps the music stream.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 93 of 98

It may not affect the portable player, as buffering may be taking place. It could be the Melco is not seeing large enough packets, and it dropping the stream.

Anything is worth a try, and you can at least play around with the TP Link. You could even try a smaller MTU, just in case there are additional transmission overheads.

Try different values, changing them by 10 at a time, to see if it helps. It has to be between 576 and 1492.

Lower values may be better, as it will split the stream into smaller packets. There may be an optimum range of values.

Plenty to play around with to see what effect it has.

0 Ratings
womaz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 94 of 98

Hello again Keith

As i am no expert at this could I be causing any problems by changing the MTU number?

My broadband is essential and thats why I am a little reluctant to make nay major changes

Do you know what ? I hate not understanding things ......

You also say change it to 1492 as sky recommend 1500. You say this bigger number may help with sound packets. Then you say try smaller values too....so I am tad confused. 😉

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 95 of 98

You will not cause any problems. A smaller MTU will simply mean that a larger number of smaller packets will be sent, instead of a smaller number of larger packets. It only affect that router when its connected.

If the MTU was to high, then that can cause problems.

Identify the track(s) that are causing you problem first.

I would start with a smaller MTU to see how it affects those tracks.

Start with the MTU at about 800, and see if it makes any difference to those tracks. Does it make them stop earlier or later?

If its works fine, then gradually increase the MTU until you find the maximum value you can use without affecting the music.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 96 of 98

An interesting thread to read https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/21653-official-tidal-hifi-streaming-issues-thread/?p...

Also a Google search for "tidal playback problems" shows lots of issues with Tidal skipping tracks etc.

0 Ratings
womaz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 97 of 98

Thanks again Keith it appears I am not alone.....I now dont have much confidence in getting this sorted as it appears very much to be a Tidal issue/

I may still try the MTU settings as it looks easy.

I have had a look on the smart hub website and I am unabke to chnage them on this hub so i would have to use the TP LINK

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 98 of 98

You cannot change it on the home hub, you can only do it on the TP Link, as per my instructions.

Its very easy to change, but you may not allow you to change it without clicking on "disconnect" first. All this does it to discoonect the PPP session, it does not physically disconnect your line.

Once you have changed the MTU, then click on the "connect" button, and the Internet connection will be re-established within 30 seconds or less.

Then you can try the music again.

0 Ratings