cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hsherriff
Message 1 of 5

Tp link used for most of the house is much slower than main hub despite being connected to it

We've just upgraded our internet to fibre optic and are now reaching speeds of around 50mbs. However the tp link that is set up for most of the house is still only getting the same speeds as we had previously of about 2-4 mbs. Not sure how to get this speed up to match or just closer to what it should be.
I've tried changing the mode of the tp link and restarting it all etc. Any advice?
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
torque57
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Tp link used for most of the house is much slower than main hub despite being connected to it

Is the TP Link device a wireless router/access point, or a powerline adapter? If so, speed will depend on a number of things including distance, so it might be the case that the link between the system you're using and the router is the speed bottleneck rather than your broadband connection itself.

0 Ratings
Hsherriff
Message 3 of 5

Re: Tp link used for most of the house is much slower than main hub despite being connected to it

I'm pretty sure it is a power line set up, but before we had upgraded our package the tp link was reaching almost exactly the same speed as the hub. So I'm just wondering what I can do to get those speeds to match again or even get close to what it should be getting.
0 Ratings
Hsherriff
Message 4 of 5

In addition when I do a speed test although download speed hasn't changed but my upload speed now matches the hub and is 3x faster than my download speed
0 Ratings
torque57
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Powerline networking is similar to wireless in that speed depends on a number of things like distance, wiring quality, whether the devices are on the same circuit, interference, etc.

Are the powerline adapters plugged straight into the socket or are they on extension leads? Straight into the socket is usually better.
0 Ratings