Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Tplink router for BT fibre

Go to solution

Could anyone help me with this set up?  I bought a TPLink-MR600 router to use to connect to fibre and also use the 3g/4g backup functionality that comes with it. So, if the fibre connection goes down the 3g/4g kicks in

I've connected the Tplink router's WAN port to the BT hub 6 router via LAN cable but can't get it to pick up the WAN connection on the tplink router, it just keeps saying disconnected each time (I've also added the pppoe details but this hasn't helped)

I'm a bit of a novice with things like this, have looked on various pages and youtube but can't seem to find an answer. 

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Tplink router for BT fibre

Go to solution

If you are connecting the TP Link to a Smart hub, the 3g/4g won't kick in if the fibre connection goes down.

Do you have FTTP (fibre directly to the home) or FTTC (fibre to the cabinet and then copper wire to your house). If the former you don't need the HH, connect the TP link directly to the ONT. If the latter I suggest you either get a combined VDSL modem/router or get an Openreach HG612 modem from ebay to use with your TP Link

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

It's FTTC, so guess I'll need the modem.  Is it easy to configure?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

The modem is plug and play and will be locked in any case, no need to pay extra for an unlocked one.

Just to confirm you are on a Superfast service (55/10 or 80/20) and not Ultrafast, as the modem won't work with Ultrafast.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

Great, thanks for your help and no it's not ultrafast just 80/20

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

Post back if you have any problems once you have the modem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution
all the routers on ebay seem to be unlocked, are they ok or would you recommend another type?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

It doesn't matter if they are unlocked, it's just that they are generally more expensive than locked ones.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Ok managed to order a cheap one from eBay so will post again once it arrives in a few days

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

BT modem from eBay arrived this morning. But I get an error trying to setup with the tplink router (internet not connected, please configure your parameters). Have done the following steps

BT modem connected with phone line, network cable from Lan 1 into the wan port on tplink router

Have configured the router to wireless mode and gone through quick setup

Enabled vlan with vlan id of 101. Username - bthomehub@btbroadband.com have tried the password as BT, bt and also left it blank but this is where I hit the error when trying to connect

Also to add the BT modem adsl light is on and LAN light comes on too

0 Ratings