Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cf_6
Message 1 of 33

Trying desperately to replace my HH and failing

Go to solution
Hi folks,

I've read lots of threads on here recently in the hope that someone else has had these problems and nothing seems to come up that matches exactly the issues I'm seeing.

I have been trying to replace my HH with a Nighthawk and a modem but I just can't seem to get them to connect to the Internet at all.

Initially I tried a DM200 modem but couldn't get it to connect despite trying the listed variations of ISP username ([first name.Last name]@btbroadband.com / bthomehub@btbroadband.com / btbroadband@btbroadband.com) and password ([blank] / BT / bt). Tried running the set up wizard several times and entering everything in manually to no avail. Plugged HH back in and all fine (after running through the normal wizard to reconnect - one of the reasons I want to replace the hub is everytime I reboot it or once every week or so I get prompted to log back in and connect the Internet... not sure if this is normal or not?).

Put the DM200 to one side and hooked up an Openreach modem as I'd read these were the simplest solution and less hassle than the DM200 and that it should function out of the box and not need any set up or swapping to bridge mode before hooking up the router etc (figured that just removed one potential issue from the chain). Plugged in, all lights green, so I go ahead and connect the Nighthawk - amber Internet light on Nighthawk (cable connected but no Internet from modem).

Run through set up on the Nighthawk when hooked up via Ethernet cable to a computer and hit the exact same stumbling block of incorrect ISP details regardless of which variations from above I use.

Decided to go a step back and test the modem direct to computer via Ethernet - set up a new connection and entered the ISP variations and again, they all lead to an error of "connection to the Internet failed" and automatically bring up a webpage 62.6.38.125/index.html that is called "Service Information" and states several reasons why I might have reached it.

Plugged HH back in and again after the normal screens to log back in its all fine...

I can't believe that the three devices I've tried are all faulty but it feels like it's that or genuinely the ISP username and password just aren't right and I can't seem to find any alternatives. Have I accidentally made my life hard by changing something on the HH in advanced settings perhaps that might now be causing these issues, is it one of the above, or is there something else obvious I'm missing here?

I know if I call tech support they'll just say there is obviously no issue as the HH connects just fine. Which is lovely, but it's a horrible device that doesn't serve my property or devices well!

Can provide further details of steps taken, errors received, and photos if helpful. Any help greatly appreciated as I'm losing patience and the will to keep trying to sort this...
0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Trying desperately to replace my HH and failing

Go to solution

this may help to see if connecting direct to modem works

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Poor-upload-speed-literally-halved-from-when-original...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Cf_6
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution
As set out in the original post I tried this already with no success.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

Silly question, you are with BT and not Plusnet aren't you?

Second silly question, are you sure you are not entering bthomehub@btinternet.com

BT username and password are bthomehub@btbroadband.com and bt.

Edit: Third silly question are you configuring the devices as PPPoE and not PPPoA.

0 Ratings
Cf_6
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution
Yes to all three.

I am 100% with BT, and used those exact login details (in addition to other combinations listed in my post that I found here and elsewhere), and all devices were being configured as PPPoE.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

One last thing, have you configured VLAN to 101?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution

Remove your Homehub/router from the equation.

Use the Openreach modem and set up a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the Homehub or any router. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see if it connects. If it does connect you will know it is the router that is causing your problem. If you can not get a connection you will know it is the modem that is the problem.

Step 1: Connect the Openreach modem to the socket.

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on Windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the Internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings
Cf_6
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution
This has been tried already, as set out in my first post and in response to someone else above.

In case this isn't obvious in my first post, this is the para that refers to this:

Decided to go a step back and test the modem direct to computer via Ethernet - set up a new connection and entered the ISP variations and again, they all lead to an error of "connection to the Internet failed" and automatically bring up a webpage 62.6.38.125/index.html that is called "Service Information" and states several reasons why I might have reached it.
0 Ratings
Cf_6
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution
Yes. This is picked up automatically by the Netgear set up wizard but I also tried doing a full manual set up and made sure this was done.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

Just to clarify,

What Homehub are/were you using?

Are you on VDSL or ADSL?

0 Ratings