cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
touareg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Trying to opt out of BT wi-fi to prevent my BT smart hub from transmitting wi-fi.

Go to solution

I opted out of BT wi-fi yesterday and have been led to believe that I would have to wait as much as several weeks before wi-fi is 'not active' on my hub.

This morning it said 'not active' so I thought oh great it has worked.. but I have an EMF meter and it showed nothing had changed.. the hub is still transmitting wi-fi.

So I tried restarting the hub and lo and behold it went back to 'active' status!

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 18

Re: Trying to opt out of BT wi-fi to prevent my BT smart hub from transmitting wi-fi.

Go to solution

Hi @touareg,

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for posting. 

You can check the status of your BT WiFi by using our online status checker. Can you let me know what status the checker is showing?

Once you have opted out of BT WiFi it can take up to 28 days for the opt-out to complete.

Thanks

Matt

iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 18

Re: Trying to opt out of BT wi-fi to prevent my BT smart hub from transmitting wi-fi.

Go to solution

What are you trying to do , opt out of BT WiFi with Fon, so others cannot use your hub as a WiFi hotspot ( accepting you then cannot take advantage of WiFi hotspots when out and about if you do ) or turn off your routers WiFi totally and only use wired devices via the Ethernet sockets ?
If it’s the Fon hotspot access, as already stated this can take a while , if it’s the routers total wireless output, then I doubt that is something someone can do for you remotely, and may or may not be  a setting within the routers menu’s to turn off ‘WiFi’, the fact that you mention an EMF meter suggests it’s not public access to your router that concerns you but ‘ radiation ‘in general,  if your BT Hub cannot switch off ‘WiFi’ , you may have to look at a third party router with that facility, bearing in mind the majority of users want wireless access for phones , tablets etc

touareg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
Hi Matt, Thanks for your reply.
I have tried this same link to the status checker before and I always get the same result.. it does not accept my user name (email) or password. I have read several other posts saying the same thing.
I also understand it can take up to 28 days which was why I was surprised it said 'not active' this morning.. and then it went back to 'active' after I restarted the hub.
0 Ratings
touareg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks iniltous,
Yes all I want to do is opt out of BT WiFi with Fon.
You are correct my only concern is EMF radiation as I have become sensitive to this, which is, in case of cynicism, a condition recognised by law and the medical establishment. I can assure you it is no joke even though I have been laughed at about it on several occasions.
I have been using ethernet wired to computer for many years, unaware that my hub has been transmitting wi-fi until I recently discovered this by using a meter. I do not have or use a smart phone so my only concern is to rid my living space of wi-fi.
I read that many people have had a lot of difficulty opting out and this has been my experience also.
I looked into using a different router but when I called BT they told me that basically it probably wouldn't work and that they strongly advised me against it. Also I would have to cough up £160 to end my contract or wait almost a year so really the only option I am left with is opting out of wi-fi.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

@touareg wrote:

I read that many people have had a lot of difficulty opting out and this has been my experience also.
I looked into using a different router but when I called BT they told me that basically it probably wouldn't work and that they strongly advised me against it. Also I would have to cough up £160 to end my contract or wait almost a year so really the only option I am left with is opting out of wi-fi.

BT were talking absolute nonsense, you can use any third party VDSL modem router and certainly won't have to terminate your contract in order to do so.

Stu_H
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Of course you can run your own router, I’m taking it the person on the end of the phone had no idea what they said or you miss interpreted the reply maybe.

many of us use our own routers for various reasons and it’s pretty straight forward to do. In my case it’s a old HG612 modem and from there to my router. 

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@touareg 

You can use this ADSL/VDSL Modem/router which has a wireless on/off switch, and wireless can also be disabled from the menu. It currently cost about £35 at Argos (572/8882) and is very simple to setup.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

There is no need to terminate any contract, BT will allow you to use your own equipment.

Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@touareg,

The guys are correct, it sounds like you have been given incorrect information by the adviser you spoke to. I'm really sorry about any confusion that has been caused.

Plenty of customers choose to use 3rd party hubs however we don't support customers when it comes to setting these hubs up. However, I'm sure you will find any support you need here on the Community.

Thanks

Matt

touareg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@licquorice ..Many thanks!

0 Ratings