cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jameshsia
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Turn a BT SmartHUB router on / off remotely?

Hi all,

I have a very specific question about remotely controlling a SmartHUB WIFI router, which I hope someone here may be able to help with.

I live with my parents, and we have a standard BT SmartHUB WIFI router on the ground floor covering the entire house. I suffer from a few health issues and have been advised to switch off the router at night to avoid the EMF exposure while sleeping. The problem is that my dad has sleep problems and tends to wake up in the middle of the night. He wants to use the WIFI when he wakes, but as he is two floors up and quite frail, he (understandably) doesn't want to come all the way down to the ground floor to switch the router back on at source. He also doesn't have 3G/4G on his device.

As a compromise we now have the router on a timer to automatically switch off the WIFI between 10pm and 315am each day, but this is still not ideal for me as I only get half the night EMF free. What could work better is if there was some kind of remote we could purchase for my dad to keep with him and use to switch the router on (and off) if he needs to during the night.

So just to check, is such a remote control available for BT SmartHUBs? If not, can anyone think of another solution to this problem?

Many, many thanks for any help

James

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Turn a BT SmartHUB router on / off remotely?

Hi @Jameshsia ,

You're very welcome to the community. I hope we can help with this. I'm very sorry you've got a few health issues which would require switching off the hub at night. I know how important a good night sleep can be. I can also appreciate how your dad would want to log on when he can't sleep. It's deffinitely a bit of a puzzle.

Firstly we wouldn't recommend switching the hub on and of, it will have a negative affect on the broadband connection. 

We don't offer or support remote electrical switches but if you google search Wireless Remote Control Sockets Programmable Electrical UK Plug Outlet Switch you might find something that suits, though again I can't offer any support or advice on these products.

I hope that helps in some way.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Agree with David about keeping your hub/router powered on. I used to turn everything off at night so I learned from experience!

Since the main cause of your concern is your needing shielding from the EMF, type into your favourite search engine or one of the "auction" sites:

EMF bed canopy

You can then research the results and decide whether this route may be suitable for you. They can be, in my opinion, unnecessarily expensive.

0 Ratings
Jameshsia
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

David, Carlusha,

Thank you so much for your swift and clear responses - much appreciated!

I will take forward, including investigating the bed canopy

Kind regards
James
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Hi @Jameshsia ,

Thanks for getting back. We're always happy to help and I hope you find a solution to this. Please keep us posted on how you get on. Thanks also to @Carlusha for stepping in with some great advice.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”