cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Turn off router WiFi, use WiFi discs instead

Go to solution

Hi all -

I’ve been having trouble with getting a ‘clean’ signal where I live. In a mid-terrace where my neighbours also have strong BT internet. BT engineer came round yday and changed the channels my internet is on to one that is less congested. 

He also suggested turning off the BT router WiFi and connecting my two WiFi discs to it via Ethernet cables instead. The theory was I’d be using two WiFi systems and not three, thereby removing competition in the house. However, when I connected the discs via LAN and turned off the router WiFi, my internet was no longer discoverable even though both discs showed a solid blue light. 

Thoughts? Is this a good logic still?

Thanks in advance, Alex. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Turn off router WiFi, use WiFi discs instead

Go to solution

If you have the black discs then turning off the wi-fi on the router will leave you with no wireless network whatsoever.

If you have the white discs then be aware that there are two different systems, both of them have one thing in common, namely that you turn off your router wi-fi but they differ in that one system will allow only one disc to be connected to the router by ethernet and the other will allow two discs to be connected by ethernet.

See this link for details  BT Whole Home Wi-Fi FAQs - Set-up and installation | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for this, @Les-Gibson 

I’m guessing connecting the WiFi discs via the Ethernet connection is still the preferred option where possible? Albeit leaving the WiFi coming from the router on, as you say.

Alex

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

If it's the white discs you have then yes turn the router wifi off but be aware of the following passage from the link I posted earlier.

Can I connect more than one disc to my hub (router) using the Ethernet cables?
If you're using Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi, you can. If you wish, you can locate a disc a long distance from your hub (router) - for example, in an outbuilding - and have an Ethernet cable connection back to your hub (router). Just plug in the cable in the disc’s RJ45 socket and it'll join your Whole Home Wi-Fi network.

If you're using Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi, you can't. Only your first disc can be connected to the hub (router) using an Ethernet cable. If you wish to connect more discs by Ethernet, you'll need to connect them to the Ethernet port on another disc. You can also use the Ethernet ports on these discs for devices such as TVs and printers.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Sorry, black discs I’m using. Should have said.

Will the discs prioritise WiFi connections over Ethernet if I keep it plugged in? Is there any benefit using the LAN connection?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

In which case, no do not switch the router wi-Fi off. The black discs normally work with a wireless connection to the hub but if you turn the router wi-fi off then you will lose that connection, it will work with a cable connection instead but you will find there will be more areas where the signal from the disc is too weak to be of any use.

Using an ethernet backhaul in the way you describe could be advantageous depending upon the construction of your house, Older houses present more obstacles to wireless signals

0 Ratings