Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adz
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Tweaking new hub 6. Disable WPS?

Hi all,
I've just moved to a new address, new BT contract & new hub6.
So I'm trying to do what I can to secure my connection as much as is practical, among the list of "to do's?" is disable WPS, I understand this facility & I am confident I can do without it. The question is: do I need to? or has BT patched the potential hack problem with wps on this router?
Also, do I need to change the wifi key/admin password as a matter of course? my thinking is "what do I gain?" these passwords are not 1234 or "password" and I'm guessing that a brute force pw generator would figure my new keys the same as the ones that come supplied with the router? or maybe that's wrong thinking and hack tools would already know where to start & have an upper hand?
I have network scanners set up to warn of unknown devices & would be surprised if any hacker bothered with me but none the less before I go changing settings I'm hoping for the full picture.
Thanks  🙂

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Tweaking new hub 6. Disable WPS?

@Adz wrote:

Hi all,
I've just moved to a new address, new BT contract & new hub6.
So I'm trying to do what I can to secure my connection as much as is practical, among the list of "to do's?" is disable WPS, I understand this facility & I am confident I can do without it. The question is: do I need to? or has BT patched the potential hack problem with wps on this router?
Also, do I need to change the wifi key/admin password as a matter of course? my thinking is "what do I gain?" these passwords are not 1234 or password and I'm guessing that a brute force pw generator would figure my new keys the same as the ones that come supplied with the router? or maybe that's wrong thinking and hack tools would already know where to start & have an upper hand?
I have network scanners set up to warn of unknown devices & would be surprised if any hacker bothered with me but none the less before I go changing settings I'm hoping for the full picture.
Thanks  🙂

You can disable WPS if you think it's a security risk. There's no information from BT that any security patch has been issued.

Also if your firmware is not yet fully updated to current, there would be no "patch" as such.

As for the wifi key/admin password change:-

There have been recent reports re. other ISP routers which have been at risk of hacking.

There are no reports of BT hubs being hacked, but that does'nt mean to say that they are not at risk.

Change the passwords, if you are concerned about hacking.

Remember that if you were to do a factory reset in the future, the settings will revert to defaults, including the passkeys.

There's another setting which you could disable:- UPNP; but I keep this enabled for playing music on an Internet Radio.

It's rarely used! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

As far as I am aware there is no WPS problem on the HH6. There was on earlier hubs (I think HH2 & 3) and the facility was "turned off" by BT until it was resolved and all subsequent hubs software did not have the problem.

As regards changing passwords, the Homehubs forces an admin password change the first time you log on to the hub so you have no choice but to change it.

With the wireless passkey it is up to you. As you have correctly said, the hub's wireless passkey is not a generic "1234 or admin" and as such would be fairly difficult to guess and yes a brute force hack may be able to crack it but you have to keep in mind that first the hacker would need to be in range of the hub and secondly want to hack your hub and thirdly have time to do it. While it won't do any harm to change it, I doubt it will do any good.

Just make sure that the lable that has the passkey on it is not visible to outsiders if you site your hub near a window.

0 Ratings
Adz
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the heads up on UPNP Ribblelancs , it made interesting reading. All your info much appreciated, I don't feel particularly vulnerable but I do think I will get round to changing some of these settings.
Threat perceived V's hassle to change and loss of convenience I surmise.
Cheers.

0 Ratings
Adz
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Again thanks for your opinion gg30340, I was hoping that the WPS weakness was now more secure. This all helps me to make good decisions. Agreed, the threat is low, maybe a disgruntled/malicious neighbour with tech knowledge? (or his mate?) but... that is just paranoia & I doubt there would ever be an issue.
Cheers
0 Ratings