cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Two Buildings, one DSL Line. how do i extend the wi-fi?

Hello,

I have two buildings at home, both have a phone line and i belive the new buildings phone line runs off the old one.

both buildings have a DSL socket, now firstly i wanted wi-fi in both buildings (i only had it in the new one to start with) so i simply got another router ( a BT Smart Hub ) and connected into old building via the DSL socket and microfilter. now the new router worked perfectly fine, i then went into the new building to find the Smart Hub couldnt connect.

I later found out you cannot have two Routers on one DSL line ( or is it a phone line.. anyway)

so heres my question, how do i extend the wi-fi into my old building?

thanks

Alex

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Two Buildings, one DSL Line. how do i extend the wi-fi?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: Two Buildings, one DSL Line. how do i extend the wi-fi?

It really depends on how far apart the buildings are.  The most reliable option would be to run an exterior-grade ethernet cable from one to the other, then stick a wireless hotspot on the end of the cable.  But obviously, that requires cables to be run.

If they are on the same power supply, then powerline adaptors may give an acceptable speed.  Powerline adaptors don't work across different supplies, or across two phases of a 3-phase supply.

0 Ratings