Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evansnp
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

UHD and Powerline adaptors

Go to solution

I've just installed a BT UHD Youview box, which has replaced the small non-pvr model that I previously had.  As expected, the HD IP channels still work fine, but the UHD channel plays for around 5 seconds, then the network disconnects.  At this point, the HD chaanels are also unavailable for a while, then return.  I'm guessing that it's the powerline adaptors, as the instructions specifically state that they are not supported, but why? I can achieve my full line speed (76 Mb) via the powerline adaptors, so it isn't a bandwidth issue.  Can anybody suggest a reason why they are not supported, as they should be transparent to network traffic?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: UHD and Powerline adaptors

Go to solution

It may be that the communication between the adaptors isn't 100% reliable.  BT TV streaming channels have no buffering, and no retries if a packet is lost.  If you get more than a few errors, the whole thing will give up with an error message.

Most internet communications are more tolerant of the odd dropped packet.

0 Ratings
evansnp
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I did  a quick test today. Whilst watching an IP channel (BTSport1 HD), I ran a speed test, also via the same powerline access point.  I got around 65Mb down, without affecting the HD playback at all.  From this, I don't think that it's anything to do with transmission reliability over the powerline adaptors, but I do think that it may be how the adaptors handle multicast traffic.

More investigation required!

0 Ratings
evansnp
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Update: Found a duff Ethernet cable from the router to the powerline adaptor.  Tried to play UHD channel, and played for longer this time, then network dropped.  On checking the router, the PPP link had dropped. When the link came back up, the UHD channel played again, then the PPP connection dropped again.  This time, the connection came back up, and stayed up, and the UHD channel was fine, and stayed fine.  On looking at my router stats, the interleave depth had dropped from 16 to 8 ..... strange!  Fingers crossed that it stays as it is.

0 Ratings