cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 1 of 40

[UPDATED] How to setup HH6 as Wireless AP or Switch.

Go to solution

HI everyone!

I do apologise for the long await. People seem to be having problems configuring the HH6 as a AP/Lan and i've finally had the time to make another updated version with simpler explanation and i tried to make it non-technical as i possibly could.

So without further adue, here it is!

Setup i'm using

I have a BHUB6, (Business Hub 6) which is more or less default LAN settings (DHCP SERVER, DNS) nothing that could possibly impact this configuration. I strongly suggest resetting to default settings on the main router as it can help rule out complicated issues.

Please note, This is from one HH6 to another, but i dont see why it wouldn't work via any other router. This MAY not work for you, and this has been verified and tested on a HUB6. I've tried my best to debug this method and i couldn't find any faults. BUT if you manage to find something or have a problem please post below and other users will be able to help you.

Recommendations:

A hard wired ethernet connection to the HUB6.

A Router that has been freshly reset to defaults.

Guide:

• Reset your HH6 to Default Settings (Pin on the back or through Manager)
  • Insert Ethernet cable from HH6 to PC (Don’t insert anything else)
  • Head over to Advanced Settings, then System.
  • Change the Router password to something easier to remember and more secure, then press Save.
  • Head back to Advanced Settings, and click ‘My Network’ then ‘IPv4 Configuration’
  • Change the address to something that isn’t going to invade the DHCP Scope (Check this on your main router, mine is from 192.168.1.64-253, so I set my hub as 192.168.1.10 (You can also set it to 192.168.2.1 however you’ll need to manually change settings to point to 192.168.2.1 as Default gateway to gain access to this hub.
  • Turn off DHCP, and Authoritative DHCP, click save.

BT 1.png

• Return to Advanced Settings, select Firewall, and configuration at the top. Disable Firewall, and turn off Extended UPnP Security.

BT 2.png

• Head back to Advanced Settings, and now select Wireless Settings. Now, these are specific for YOU and you can configure whatever you want here. I’d recommend turning separate bands on and defining the two different networks to specify 5GHz and 2.5GHz. (On my model, I could not change the 5GHz value fully, this depends on the variant of smart hub you have, mine just adds -5 at the end). Click save.

BT 3.png

• Turn this HH6 off, and then connect your ethernet connection into PORT 4 of the HH6.
  • Turn the HH6 back on, and wait for it to boot. (Purple flashing light)

Verify WAP/LAN internet access

Verify you have internet access via the WAP.

• On a windows computer, hold the windows key and then press the letter ‘R’, enter ‘CMD’ in the text box.
  • Press enter, and then type in the console ‘ipconfig /renew’ (space after ipconfig, no space between ‘/renew’

BT 4.png

• Once completed, type ‘cls’ and then type ‘ping google.co.uk’ and you should see 4 lines of ‘Reponse from ………..<??>ms) x4.

BT 5.png

Verifying on Mobile Phone

I am using a Iphone, the same policy applies to most modern mobile phones.

• Enter settings, and wireless and then connect to your WAP
  • Wait for about 10 seconds, and then once it indicates connected, browse the web and see if you have internet access.
  • I verified I don’t have a static IP assigned and it was picked up via the main hub.

Screenshot_25.png

Hope this helped. let me know if you have any issues.

39 REPLIES 39
Abraxix
Beginner
Message 2 of 40

Re: [UPDATED] How to setup HH6 as Wireless AP or Switch.

Go to solution

Jaye - Thanks for this, I've just read through your original post on this and found my way here.

I'm finally getting FTTP this week (Friday), after the exchange and cabinet has been FTTP enabled from having no previous land-based broadband (distance from the exchange) and currently have a slightly older Netgear WNDR3700V4.   I've used this cable router with the rural Motorola wireless broadband setup we have as an alternative provider, and I have to say this router has been flawless in operation over the last couple of years in use.  I have now received my Smart Hub 6, but will not be using it for my main Router as I don't like the idea of the remote backdoor at all.

I will therefore in the interim be using the Netgear as the the main router and relegating the Smart Hub 6 to AP duties!

So I will wait until they've tested it at installation, then will be resetting it and trying your walkthrough.  I'll post back with the results after installation, but am highly confident this will work!

0 Ratings
malsat
Message 3 of 40

Go to solution

hi

followed to the letter but keep getting failed to obtain ip address on phone and tablet, lan to pc works ok

0 Ratings
malsat
Message 4 of 40

Go to solution

did reset and now think its working ok

0 Ratings
ralphrmartin
Contributor
Message 5 of 40

Go to solution

Unfortunately, does not work for me. The HH6 setup as an access point just sits with "No Broadband Connection" and flashes orange.

I've tried twice, including factory resets.

Information which may be relevant:

- I'm on FTTP. 

- The two routers are connected via an Ethernet Switch.

- Firmware version is SG4B10002244.

Other than that, I dont think there is anything unusual about my setup.

Anyone else had this? And found any solution?

0 Ratings
Abraxix
Beginner
Message 6 of 40

Go to solution

I've only just had our Fibre installed after a 6 week delay (they put fibre to the cabinet cards in the exchange instead of fibre to the premises ones and had to re-wire it)!  Anyway I eagerly spent 7 hours last night trying to get this to work for me and it didn't without some mods, so I will be doing a write up later today for those like me who may have a Netgear Router and want to use the Smart Hub 6 as an access point / wireless repeater.  I found I had to use a hybrid solution between several articles to make it work. 

0 Ratings
ralphrmartin
Contributor
Message 7 of 40

Go to solution

Oops - flashes purple, not orange.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 40

Go to solution

@ralphrmartin wrote:

Oops - flashes purple, not orange.

It will do, it has no DSL connection, you are using it as a wireless repeater not a modem.

Edit. Just noticed you have FTTP. Same principle though, there is no input on the WAN port when one is expected. It shouldn't have any effect other than an annoying flashing light.

0 Ratings
ralphrmartin
Contributor
Message 9 of 40

Go to solution

OK, I see now - it does actually work. Not only does it sit there saying "No Braidband Connection", it takes several MINUTES from when the purple light is flashing to when it actually starts forwarding traffic. Why?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 40

Go to solution

Its a hub6!!

0 Ratings