cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duberry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

USB Port on the smart hub (hh6)

This is really irritating now. I connected a WD my passport to the router as it has a USB port and unless you buy a NAS drive that has giganet ports all other WD drives have USB 3.

What is annoying is when you connect the drive and put smb:// 192:xxx:x:x etc...

The drive connects I can transfer files over so it must work and use wifi to transfer files. But it will not copy files to the drive or usb stick or anything else. It’s not recognised in disk utility if its connected via the network. I’ve tried file sharing the lot it will just NOT copy files.

It says I don’t have permission to read files on my mac to write to the drive. If you plug it in directly it works fine. Only BT would disable this usb port. Someone mentioned smb 1.1 rather than the default 2 or 3 that comes with mac osx. I use Mavericks but it should work.

This is the most irritating thing I have ever seen whats the point of a port that can only be used for read only. My passport was formeted for mac but via the router it comes up as SMB ntfs. How can it change to a windows partition over a network?

Does anyone please have any ideas? Everyone just bangs on about windows i don’t use windows.  

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: USB Port on the smart hub (hh6)

The usb port uses SMB1, is there an option to enable SMB1 in a MAC, it is disabled by default in Windows but can be enabled.

0 Ratings
duberry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Spoiler

Nope i’ve downloaded an app that can force use smb 1. Guess what?

It says exactly the same thing.

‘Items can’t be copied to “name of drive” because you don’t have permission to read them’

WHat is this about? I own my mac i have read and write access. If i connect any drive directly it works. Why does it allow you to read files to the computer but not the other way round. No good for time machine as it won’t recognise the drive on the network 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Well its clearly a MAC 'thing' as I can read and write just fine.

0 Ratings
duberry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Good to know people would rather poke fun than help. So long as ‘i’m alright jack’. Then you couldn’t give two hoots. Please don’t reply again
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

I will reply again.

I am certainly not poking fun. The problem clearly isn't with the hub per se and you need to pursue a resolution that applies to MACs which unfortunately I can't help with. I have tried to offer assistance but clearly it didn't help.

0 Ratings
duberry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Anyone else have any ideas many thanks. It appears the BT router does not support mac formatted drives. They appear to be smb and then ntfs but when connected directly they appear as mac hfs format. For time machine to work though it has to be mac formatted.   

0 Ratings
BlackKnight
Message 8 of 8

I have just run up against the same issue with a Mac formatted drive. I have a 3TB LaCie USB3 drive. I can see the EFI partition created by Mac when it formatted the drive (which is formatted as FAT (or something very like it)), and another FAT32 partition I created (S) as a test, however crucially not the Mac OS X Extended partition that I was using for Time Machine backups. I also tried an exFAT partition, and that didn't work either. Therefore I can only assume that these are not supported. From reading through other threads I think the common file systems that do work are; EXT4, NTFS, FAT32. Time to give up and get a proper NAS box I think...

0 Ratings