Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nich5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Ubiquiti UniFi

Hi,

I now have a UniFi UAP  which I use for WLAN as well as the BT Home Hub 5, I want to have them both have the same SSID so I have set them both to the same SSID with the same security. Unfortunatly the roaming is quite vairiable, I know this is a client desicion but on my TP Link AP seemed to cope a bit better with this. I have my BT Home Hub 5 on the ground floor and then the AP in the landing upstairs. Sometimes when in the kitchen downstairs or when outside it will connect to the AP even though it would be better performance connecting to the hub and in one room upstairs it connects to the Hub. Any suggestions of what settings to change on the UniFi controller or on the BT Home hub 5 would be appricated.

Thanks

Nicholas

Twitter at NicholasHayman

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ubiquiti UniFi

I find the whole idea of having multiple devices with the same SSID bizarre, if they have discrete SSID's you know which device you are connecting to and can easily change if you need to. You can give them all the same WPA passcode for simplicity.

The HH5 defaulting to a common SSID for 2.4G and 5G wireless causes untold problems, particularly for Apple devices.

0 Ratings
nich5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I actually have 2.4ghz and 5ghz being broadcasted as 2 different SSIDS from the HomeHub and the UniFi AP only has 2.4ghz so the same SSID is only for the 2.4ghz.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

But if you give the two 2.4G signals different SSID's you will know which is in use and can change manually to the better signal.

As you said in your original post, it is the client that makes the decision which signal to connect to. There is nothing you can do with the HH or AP other than perhaps try changing channels so that one signal is much stronger than the other in a particular location. It will be very hit and miss though, the device may still prefer to hang on to a very weak signal rather than change to a strong one.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 5 of 7

The Unifi system supports something call 'zero hand off' which is a technology for seamless roaming. As you can imagine it is more complex than just giving your APs the same SSID and password.

The simpler method can work but the APs need to be situated accordingly. Too close and the client is unable to choose which is better.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@anthonyUK wrote:

The Unifi system supports something call 'zero hand off' which is a technology for seamless roaming. As you can imagine it is more complex than just giving your APs the same SSID and password.

Which presumably only works between multiple Uiquiti devices with the router wifi turned off. The OP appears to have a HH and a single AP.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 7 of 7

@licquorice wrote:

@anthonyUK wrote:

Which presumably only works between multiple Uiquiti devices with the router wifi turned off. The OP appears to have a HH and a single AP.

Yeah, sorry. I thought that was obvious.

Ubiquiti's Unifi is an full solution but single APs can be run in autonomous mode e.g. unmanaged but you obviously forfeit most of the benefits. 

I've recently started using their Edge Router lite which is amazing for £70. 

0 Ratings