Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlwaysOnline
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Ultrafast alternative modem/router

Hi 

I recently upgraded to ultrafast 1 this morning, which has succesfully been intalled, currenly at 9ms pin, 115.92 down, 11.81 up. 

Before that i was on bt infinity 2 80/20 using the open reach modem and the neatgear R7000.

I tried to connect the old openreach modem to the R7000, but it isnt picking it up, do i have to do some fidling in the settings? or is it that the openreach modem is not compatible with g.fast?

Should i buy an alternative g.fast compatible modem or router? or is there a work around? 

Can i ask BT for a g.fast modem?

Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ultrafast alternative modem/router

I know this was posted a while back but no the white openreach modems are not compatible with g.fast, only the black one is. i dont know if you can get one off bt or not and ive only ever seen 2 on a certain auction website.

There is only 1 3erd party router that i know of which is the ASUS Dsl-ac88u and the only other stand alone modem ive seen in the wild apart from the openreach one is the zyxel XMG5101-S10A but i have no idea if either of them are approved for openreach's version of g.fast.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ultrafast alternative modem/router

The Openreach VDSL modem is not compatable as it does not have the G.Fast chipset so no work around.

Router vendors are already producing compatable routers , e.g. the ASUS DSL-AC88U is compatable. It all depends on your preference and budget.

0 Ratings