Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
captainweird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Ultrafast hub DHCP table missing

Hi, all,

This is an issue I used to get on the Home Hub 6, now I'm seeing it on the Ultrafast hub.

Tryin to look at the connected devices in the management interface and it shows no devices, although I have loads of clients connected and using the hub.

Broadband works fine, 150Mb/s, no problem, but this is annoying as I want to assign fixed ip addresses to some devices.

Screen shots attached showing the issue, plus an arp -a output from my Mac, showing that there are some devices on the network.

I've done hard resets etc, but had no luck in fixing this one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, PhilScreenshot 2019-02-07 at 09.29.53.pngScreenshot 2019-02-07 at 09.28.30.pngScreenshot 2019-02-07 at 09.27.49.png  

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ultrafast hub DHCP table missing

Welcome to this user forum.

If you want to assign fixed IP adresses, you need to do that on the device itself, and give it an IP adress outside of the DHCP range, otherwise you will get problems.

All of the home hubs exhibit similar issues, with missing devices, and you cannot display the DHCP table itself.

0 Ratings
captainweird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

So we just nod wisely and accept as a fact that something we pay good money for doesn't work? Surely the user base should be putting pressure on BT to correct issues with the equipment they supply? Or do I blindly go and spend another £200 on something that works properly?

Just seems bizarre to me. I know that 80% of users won't know or care what goes on in the owrld of DHCP, but some of us do, and want a router that works fully.

Phil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

This issue has been there since the very first home hub 1.

You can overcome it by using your own DHCP server, and disabling the one in the home hub.

Even a cheap wireless access point which has its own DHCP server, can be used. I did that when I had a home hub 1.

I now use a third party router, as I am only on normal broadband.

Are you on Ultrafast copper, or Ultrafast FTTP?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@captainweird wrote:

Just seems bizarre to me. I know that 80% of users won't know or care what goes on in the owrld of DHCP, but some of us do, and want a router that works fully.

It's probably more like 95% and that is why ISP's only provide very cheap limited functionality routers. Why would a company spend money unnecessarily which they would pass on to all customers for the sake of 5% ?

0 Ratings
captainweird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Ultrafast copper, still the same 2 bits of wire that were installed 20-odd years ago. Somehow they've carried everything from dial up through ADSL, onto Superfast and now Ultrafast. At a lower price than Superfast. I love the technology, just hate the hardware.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

With copper, you are somewhat limited by the number of alternative modem/routers that support ultrafast.

Apart from my suggestion about using your own DHCP server, (a suitable WAP would be about £23,  and you can always turn its wireless off if you do not need it.)

You may have another device on your network that has the ability to act as a DHCP server.

I expect there is a way of turning off the DHCP server on the home hub.

0 Ratings
captainweird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Oh, I can use a spare Raspberry Pi as a DHCP server, got plenty of those kicking about, I was just hoping the manufacturer might show some interest in the quality of their product. I was obviously wrong
DHCP can be disabled from the "Advanced settings"- "My network" menu on the hub.

Maybe I should bill BT for the time I spend setting up a separate DHCP server and restarting all the devices on my network?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@captainweird wrote:
Oh, I can use a spare Raspberry Pi as a DHCP server, got plenty of those kicking about, I was just hoping the manufacturer might show some interest in the quality of their product. I was obviously wrong
DHCP can be disabled from the "Advanced settings"- "My network" menu on the hub.

That seems a sensible solution.

As @licquorice has said, its just a mass produced ISP router, which works for most people who want to use the Internet for browsing and email, and streaming video.

Delivering Value Added Services is where the money is made.

0 Ratings