cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peterh11
Message 1 of 4

Unable to access NAS from devices connected to BT Whole Home wifi

I have just bought and set up BT Whole Home. I have 4 discs (bought the 2 + 2 extra from BT online shop). Installation apparently went smoothly and it seems to give much improved wifi coverage compared with the old system.

However, it appears that devices connected to the wifi cannot access our WDMyCloud NAS, which is on the wired network - connected to the Virgin Media modem/router through a network switch with a couple of other devices. There is no problem reaching it from a PC when connected to the wired network, and  I tested with a music player which connects to the NAS via either wired or wireless LAN: if it is on the wired network then it can connect, if on wifi it cannot. This was working with the old wifi setup.

Anyone seen this problem and solved it? I had a hunt round the options and settings, and tried a few internet searches (found this site though!)

Peterh11

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unable to access NAS from devices connected to BT Whole Home wifi

Assuming that the machines in question are running Windows 10.

Left click on the WiFi icon in the system tray (you may need to reveal the hidden icons to do this).

Left Click Properties.

On the next screen check that "PRIVATE" is the selected profile.

Peterh11
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for replying. 

I have got the music player to connect to the NAS now. Basically I deleted and recreated the Wireless Network connection definition in it. So that much is working.

a Surface connected to the WIFI still won’t connect. I made it forget the wifi network then reconnected and selected Private and the option to be discoverable. Still doesn’t show other computers or the NAS the way I see them on the PC connected to the wired network. Not sure now if this is a problem with the specific computer or the network. I will see if I can get it connected to the wired network (no standard network port, need to go through USB) and test there.

I will investigate further and come back if I have eliminated other issues and still not working.

Peterh11

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

Have you checked that the NAS and the devices that can't connect to it are on the same sub-net?