cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 5

Unable to access bt home page this morning = no email access

It was a shock at 05:53 this morning not to be able to log on to the BT home page.

It was a worse shock wheen the page it sent me to was full of what appears to be BT standard replies - see below.

I rang the overseas Help Centre - it  took eight minutes to get through to someone, the Scottish lady's recorded message saying "we are extremely busy at the moment" so my mood wasn't good.

But the guy I got through to was brilliant - he said there were technical issues with the Home page and tried to log me in to mail via the (old) Yahoo page but that didn't work. I removed the Yahoo site from my Norton Identity Safe Vault months ago and so couldn't remember my password.

So he tried a different tack - he changed the password for me and ' hey presto' I could access my emails. (I was collecting items from a well-known DIY warehouse and needed the order numbers on their emails.)

He was brilliant - my only moan was he spoke too softly and I didn't get his name even at the second attempt. He really was good and had a sense of humour - he changed my password to Happy (followed by a number)!

So all's well etc etc . . . but it does remind me that I'm still waiting to be migrated to BTMail! Here's what was on the page to which I was diverted!

BT logo Login 

Don't use email? Find out more

BT logo Login 

Don't have BT Mail? Sign up

We don't recognise your details. Please check you've entered your full email address and password correctly and try again.

Sorry

Your BT Mail address has been deleted. To reactivate it, please visit MyBT.

Back to log in

Sorry

Your BT Mail address is currently inactive.

To reactivate it, please visit MyBT.

Back to log in

Sorry

Your BT Mail account has been barred as you've breached the Terms of Service. You can email us at abuse@bt.com or call us on 0800 111 4567, Monday to Friday 8am-6pm to discuss your service.

Visit our help page for more details.

To check your BT Mail account, visit MyBT

Back to log in

Sorry

<Step 1 of Online self-recovery journey>

Back to log in

Sorry

As your BT Broadband service is ending, your BT Mail service will also be closing soon. To find out how to keep your email before it's too late, please visit MyBT.

Back to log in

Sorry

As your BT Mail address no longer exists, please update your BT ID with a new contact email address before continuing.

Please visit My BT to update your details.

Back to log in

Sorry

Your BT Mail address no longer exists but you can sign up to another one at any time in My BT.

Visit MyBT to sign up now.

Back to log in

Sorry

We don't recognise your details. Please check you've entered your full email address and password correctly and try again.

Back to log in

Sorry

We're experiencing a temporary problem with Email and are working to fix it as soon as possible. Please try again later. Sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

Go back to BT.com >

Back to log in

Sorry

Before you can log in, you need to confirm your BT ID email address.

Please click 'Next' to confirm your email address.

Back to log in

Sorry

Back to log in

Sorry

There isn't a BT Yahoo! Mail service associated with the username/email address you've entered.

Continue to MyBT >

Back to log in

Continue to Yahoo! log in

We can't log you into your BT Yahoo! Mail at the moment. To access your email, please continue to log in via the Yahoo! website at www.yahoo.co.uk.

Sorry

There isn't a BT Yahoo! Mail service associated with the username/email address you've entered.

Continue to MyBT >

Back to log in

Sorry

As you've had too many unsuccessful attempts to login, you've been temporarily locked out. Please try again after 15 minutes.

Sorry

Your BT Mail service will also be closing soon. To find out how to keep your emails before it's too late, please visit My BT.

< Back to log in

BT ID or Email address
Please enter your email address.
 Password
Please enter your password.

Forgotten password?

Keep me logged in Check this box to stay logged in to your BT email on this computer

Back   Email security   Help 

Quick access to BT Mail

Make the most of BT Mail and all its features, from changing your inbox view to adding flags and reminders.

Read our guide to BT Mail

Use BT Yahoo Mail? You’ll be moving to the new BT Mail later this year.

If you receive a message asking you to change your password, it’s important you do so.

Find out more at www.bt.com/secure

Check this box to stay logged in to your BT email on this computer

BT Logo
•Contact BT
•Sitemap
•Privacy
•Terms of use
•Codes of practice
•Complaints Code
•T&Cs
•Feedback

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to access bt home page this morning = no email access

Hi Taffy078

Still using webmail. I thought you were going to use or at least try an email client and save yourself all the grief that comes with webmail.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 5

just too busy!!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Excuses, excuses. The time you have spent messing about with the webmail you could have had it installed. Smiley Wink

Guru
Message 5 of 5

I've been a (very) long time user of email clients, and more recently (only 9 years) gmail as my main email provider.  Email clients have many benefits but they are not a complete solution; there have been quite a few times when gmail webmail has been working but their connections to email clients (imap anyway) have been broken.  But at least you have access to your old mails via the client during that period; and it doesn't stop you using webmail as well ir that isn't broken.

I think avoiding ISP email as your main provider is more important to a reliable mail system than use of an email client ... and of course it helps when you think it is time to change ISP.  But, again, not a 100% solution.