cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drew16
Message 1 of 5

Unable to connect to internet while on VPN

Any help greatly appreciated.

I need to use Cisco anyconnect VPN to access my work server when at home. As soon as i connect to VPN i lose connection to the internet although i can use work network OK.

This happened when i was on Win7 and is still happening having been upgraded to Win10.

Have tried port clamping, placing laptop in DMZ, factory reset and still have the same issue.

Our I.T. department have been unable to help and as a few other colleagues, all with Homehubs, are having the same issue i believe its an issue with my Homehub 5.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to connect to internet while on VPN

Welcome to this user forum. @Drew16

I would expect that to be the case anyway, as most company installed VPN/Firewall policies would block local Internet access while connected to the company network, to prevent any virus or trojan software entering their network.

You should be able to access the Internet via your employer`s network, while the VPN is in use.

0 Ratings
Drew16
Message 3 of 5

Unfortunately i cant.

Other colleagues who are not on BT dont have the issue and if i connect through the 3G card in the laptop then go to vpn i can still access the internet via the employers network so its as if something in the router is blocking the connection when on VPN?

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Its possible that there is a conflict with the IP subnet that the home hubs use. The home hubs use 192.168.1.xxx by default, which may be the same as your employer`s private address range.

While you are connected to VPN, it should be possible to see what private IP address your VPN software has been allocated on the company network.

Compare that with the range that the home hub uses.

It is possible to change the default subnet that the home hub uses, to 192.168.0.xxx and that may help to resolve any conflict.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
fasty
Message 5 of 5

Another thing to check is DNS.   When you connect to the work VPN try pinging an IP (like 8.8.8.8) and then try pinging a name (like www.bbc.co.uk).   If you can ping the IP but the name doesnt resolve then you know its a DNS issue. 

0 Ratings