cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Freddles
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Unable to connect to internet

I have BT hub 4 and my laptop is connected via wifi, but my old desktop with Windows XP is connected to the hub via the ethernet wire.  The computer recognises the connection, but I am unable to access the internet, even my security providers cannot access my computer to do its job, which is very worrying.  

I have been through the 'New Connection Wizard' but still no access to the internet.

What could I try next?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Freddles
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: unable to connect to hub or internet via lan

Following this thread as the problem is similar to mine, and the problem is on an old desktop with Windows XP, but had no problem with the previous provider AOL.  I only changed to take advantage of the special offer available from BT at the time, I am now regretting it, as I need my old PC for back up to my laptop.  Does BT have a problem with Windows XP?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Re: unable to connect to hub or internet via lan

@Freddles wrote:

Following this thread as the problem is similar to mine, and the problem is on an old desktop with Windows XP, but had no problem with the previous provider AOL.  I only changed to take advantage of the special offer available from BT at the time, I am now regretting it, as I need my old PC for back up to my laptop.  Does BT have a problem with Windows XP?

As per my post on your other thread I suggested "If you do decide to post make sure that you give as much information as possible regarding the type of broadband you have, the type of BT Homehub and as much information about what the actual fault/problem is" 

You had posted on a five year old thread and what you posted above saying the problem is similar does not give any of that information.

EDIT: I have merged your posts because posting on multiple threads only leads to duplication and confusion. I note that you have supplied more information in this thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Re: Unable to connect to internet

It has been a number of years since I have dealt with a Windows XP machine. You are no doubt aware of this but just in case you are not I would feel it a bit remiss of me not to advise you that Windows XP is no longer getting any security updates and should be used with caution if you are using it on the Internet.

If it is only used as a back up to your laptop you would in my opinion be safer to buy a portable hard drive or a large pen drive to store your back up on.

Having said that as regards your problem you should check the following:-

You should not have needed to run the "New Connection Wizard". That was basically when a dial up connection was being used.

You should only have needed to plug the Ethernet cable into the computer.

Open the Local Area Connection menu by clicking on the Local Area Connection Icon on the status bar, or going to control panel Network option. In this window you will see a Connection Status display and an Activity display. 

Click on Properties. 

This will open the Properties menu. In the Properties menu under the General Tab, scroll down the check list to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and make sure it is checked and enabled. 

Left click on the Internet Protocol item. Which brings up the (TCP/IP) Properties menu. 
Set the TCP/IP Properties as follows: 

(1) Check the option to Obtain an IP address automatically.
(2) Check the option to Obtain DNS server address automatically.
(3) Click on OK to save the settings.
(4) Click on OK to save the Local Area Connection Properties.

If the IPv6 is ticked, try unticking it.

0 Ratings
Freddles
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Went through everything on your list & seemed to check out ok, but still no luck accessing the internet.

Under 'Network Diagnostics for Windows XP'

checking for connectivity

Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, FTP

Contact isp

Diagnostics

HTTP - Successful

HTTPS - error 12157 no connection

HTTPS - error 12029

FTP (passive) 12031 no connection

FTP (active) error 12031 the connection with the server was reset could not make HTTPS connection.

Client Diagnostics

DNS - not a home user scenario

No DNS servers

DNS failure

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Before going any further have you tried connecting your laptop by Ethernet per chance there is a faulty cable or Ethernet ports on the Homehub?

You also need to make sure that when you tried to set up the "new connection" that it is not over riding the Ethernet connection. To do that go to control panel>internet options>"connections" tab> under dial-up and virtual private network select the dial-up connection and click on "remove" and make sure that "never dial a connection" option is clicked.

If that checks out OK go back into the properties menu of your network adaptor and click on the IPv4 and where it says Obtain DNS automatically, tick the box "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter google's DNS settings which are Referred 8.8.8.8 and Alternate 8.8.4.4. 

Check to see if that allows you to connect. 

If that doesn't help I think you will need to try and uninstall the Network Card, restart your computer and let Windows find and reinstall the card. This should set it up with the correct settings and drivers for the XP system.

0 Ratings