Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WilsonCS
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Unable to connect with 3rd party router

Go to solution

My Asus RT-AC5300 router stopped connecting to the internet last night. No change by me. I have reset the router to the default and when I attach it, I get a BT Wholesale Service Information page. If I replace the Asus router with the BT Hub, using the exact same sign in details everything works.

Has anything changed on the BT side re configuration? Or has the recent update to Halo meant certain routers are now being refused connection?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to connect with 3rd party router

Go to solution

@WilsonCS 

Router default setting would not work.

You need to set the PPPoE authentication up again.

Its the PPPoE settings you need.

You can use

user name of broadbanduser@btbroadband.com and a password of bt

As long as the suffix is @btbroadband.com it does not seem to matter.

WilsonCS
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Keith - I know that, thanks. You have to set all that up on the initial setup of the router. That's what I meant by saying used the same details. The fact that it is getting that Service page from BT Wholesale shows that the internet connection is up. The router is saying that there is a valid internet connection. Any other suggestions?

I initially left everything alone and connected using the details which were previously working. Only when that failed did I reset the router to its defaults.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

If you are getting the Wholesale information page, then it has to be an authentication issue with the router, or a fault with the router.

Have you checked to see if your phone number is the same, just in case you have a crossed line?

I assume you are a residential user and not a business user, as you mentioned about sign in details on the BT hub, as that is only needed for the BT Business hub.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

It is entirely possible that your router has become faulty. It is the PPP authentication that is not working.

Have you set the VLAN id to 101

0 Ratings
WilsonCS
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

As I'm on the BT router for now, I can't check that, but as I've been successfully running on the router for 18 months with those settings I would assume so...

0 Ratings
WilsonCS
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Keith,

Very many thanks - up and running again. I've been using my btclick.com username successfully all this time...changed it to your suggestion and all is well. Very many thanks!

0 Ratings