Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Finfinity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Unable to use AOL Desktop Browser

Hi,

The last couple of days we've been unable to use the AOL Destop Browser with a BT connection. My mother prefers this browser despite advising her to use Chrome/Firefox/IE several times but now she is unable to. I phoned AOL and was told following some sort of recent BT server update AOL were blocked. I contacted BT but they were unable to help. Not sure why it was necessary to block AOL but yeah, for my mother's sake it would be good if we could use the AOL browser again.

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unable to use AOL Desktop Browser

I would imagine that the "AOL Browser" will just be a branded Microsoft Internet Explorer browser. There should be no reason that your mother can not use it other than if it is set to log onto AOL in some way, in which case it would be AOL that is blocking it if your are not an AOL customer.

If it is the AOL home page you are having problems with try this link

http://www.aol.co.uk/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

@Finfinity wrote:

Hi,

The last couple of days we've been unable to use the AOL Destop Browser with a BT connection. My mother prefers this browser despite advising her to use Chrome/Firefox/IE several times but now she is unable to. I phoned AOL and was told following some sort of recent BT server update AOL were blocked. I contacted BT but they were unable to help. Not sure why it was necessary to block AOL but yeah, for my mother's sake it would be good if we could use the AOL browser again.

Thanks

Hi.

You imply she was able to use the AOL browser until a couple of days ago.

The AOL browser may have some dedicated settings, aimed purely at AOL users. Things like automated configuration settings and all sorts of things could be set (tools/internet options in IE).

Not sure about the BT server update, and would question whether AOL are just fobbing you off.

Frankly things do change, and moving ISPs can mean a new learning curve for some - particularly from AOL with their own stuff. Might be worth getting her to try Firefox (for e.g.) again. If the AOL browser isn't going to work, then she'll have to.

0 Ratings
DWMAK
Message 4 of 4

Hi

We have had exactly the same problem on two separate laptops since last week. Had PC World Knowhow go through everything and not a laptop issue and AOL assure me nothing changed. Will try later today on a different ISP and let you know - tho' still suspect it's a BT issue.

0 Ratings