cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hattie74
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Unbelievably Frustrating

I am sure that this community is full of complaints and this is yet another one.  However I am unable to actually find anywhere to complain via email and I have singularily failed to have my issues escalated by BT customer service.

About 2 weeks after buying our house in March of this year, signs went up at the end of the road announcing that fibre optic broadband was now available in our area.  After renovating the house, we moved in 2 weeks ago.  On contacting BT to sort out the house move, we were told that there was fibre optic broadband available and would we like to sign up - simple answer, Yes.

Oh dear, apparently there was an issue with our line, we were told.  It had previously been with another provider, so an engineer would need to visit and the earliest he could do was the 10th June, conveniently over 14 days after we place the order.  I was dubious about this as you can see the line from the BT pole into our house and there is a BT box on the wall, but I'm not a phone engineer so what do I know.  The nice lady agreed to waive the £135.00 fee for sending an engineer out anyway.

We recieve numerous emails about the installation, including dire warnings about not leaving the house even for a few minutes during the FIVE HOUR slot alloted to us, oh and to also hang around for at least another TWO HOURS afterwards.  The hub arrives.

You know whats coming next....the 10th came and went.  No engineer.  No email or call to let us know why he/she has not appeared.  When WE call BT we are told that an Engineer couldnt come out, due to infrastructure problems.  Thanks for letting us know in advance BT.

Needless to say I have now been ringing customer service daily to find out what is going on, if an engineer is going to come out, anything really. We have now been told that there is miles of cabling left to do so we cant get any service until the 30TH JULY!  This is simply unbelievable.  No one at the customer service centre will accept that we have a line, all our neighbours have phone lines (and broadband).  They have told me that they cannot send out an engineer again.  I have also variously been told:

- You cant have a phone line without broadband (I think Alexander Graham Bell might beg to differ)

- An engineer has tested our line from the exchange (interesting - apparently one couldnt come out at all on the 10th due to 'infrastructure problems')

- You need to provide BT with the phone number of the existing line so they can do a test (who knew a communications firm needs you to provide this)

- There is a fault between our line and the exchange (interesting - our line goes to the same pole as all our neighbours who all have a fine service)

This is clearly to do with the fact that the fibre  cabling is not ready.  We can wait for the fibre!  Any sort of service in the meantime will do!!  Can I convince the customer service centre of this?  In a word, no.

All we are offered is trite apologies, no offer to direct calls to our mobiles or offer to downgrade the service so we can get anything.  I have tried to escalate the matter twice and it has gone nowhere.  All of this is, of course costing us money using our mobiles.  

I note that BT are clearly not prepared to put the 'you cant have any service whatsoever until the 30th July' into an email or onto the 'track my order' page.

I am waiting, again, for another call back.  This whole process is unbelievably frustrating and I am on the verge of cancelling the order and going elsewhere.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unbelievably Frustrating

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi Hattie74,

Welcome and thanks for posting!

Sorry for the problems you've been having getting service connected.  I can help you with this from here.

Click on my username and under the "about me" section you'll see the link to send us your details.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Hattie74
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thanks - I have filled in the form

The latest - after an hour on hold- they are sticking by 30th July - but can't guarantee service then. Funny how we were not told this when we placed the order....
For a communications company - BT don't.
0 Ratings
Hattie74
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Update on this.

A forum moderator did call me about a week after my posting in June.  I forget your name, but you were very patient and explained to me that an engineer had been out to the exchange (of course in complete contradiction to what I had been told earlier) but had found that the exchange was not up to par (Aluminum lines) and as such could not find a line of good enough quality to connect us to.  This meant that there was a need for further cabling (the fibre) to our house.  This might take some time if road closures were needed to install the cabling.  I was told we would get an update on the 31st July.

At this point we were resigned to no internet or phone line until at least the end of July.  This of course, combined with a house move (and for those of you who have not had to move house lately, EVERYTHING has to be done on line, from registering for council tax, TV licencing, insurance to registering to vote) meant that we have been having to use our mobiles.  It has meant we have had to get a pay as you go sim card and put it in an unused iphone so that we have a spare phone for using the internet, as my husbands mobile provider has a very poor signal in this area.

And the 30th July comes......and goes, so does the 31st July - still nothing.  I call BT.  Our order has been cancelled.  Yes, you read it right, our order has been CANCELLED.  This is because apparently if nothing happens on an order (i.e.we did not ring every day chasing them) for 60 days, it is automatically cancelled.

So, we are told, a new order can be set up.  The ordering department says that it is clear that the fibre broadband is not yet available so we can just have an ordinary phone line and broadband......

*tumbleweeds*  

Isnt this what I asked, in fact, begged, for in June?  Yes it is.

An engineer still needs to come out.  We are asked, twice, if our house is a new build (no, it was built in 1940).  A new appointment is scheduled for the 18th August, over 2 months since the original order was placed.

Eventually we get a letter, on the Royal Mail redirect from our old house, where we have not lived for 2 months.  Its the new order and it is wrong.  We also get a bill for the past 2 months for a service we have not had.  £156.00 to be taken by direct debit, within 3 days of the letter, which has been delayed as it went to the wrong address.

I ring up....again...to amend the order.  Am told the billing will be escalated as a complaint and that the DD is cancelled.  The engineer will DEFINATELY attend on the 18th August.

We get an email with further dire warnings about not leaving the house during the 5 hour slot for the engineer.

I am typing this on the 18th August and I dont think it takes a huge intellect to realise why.

The engineer failed to turn up AGAIN.  So thats 2 days off work and no engineer.

I ring BT....again... (there is a pattern emerging now isnt there?).  Even BT have stopped apologising now and I am told that Openreach cancelled the appointment because underground cabling work is needed and that they can give us an update on this after the 28th August.  

*****************************Groundhog Day*********************************

So, what to do next?  Do I:

1) wait until the 28th August and see if our order is cancelled again?

2) Run away to the hills (rather like that advert for Plusnet) and swear never to touch technology again?

3) Post back the infinity router to BT in small pieces and tell them exactly what they can do with their phone line and broadband?*

Answers on a postcard please - there is no point in trying to ring us!

*If there was any, any other provider who did not have to use openreach for the cabling in this area, I absolutely guarantee we would do this - but unfortunately option 3 is not an option as we have no alternative.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

See if mods can help you again. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Hattie74
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for your reply.

Whilst the moderator who contacted me was helpful, I am still here, a 2 months later without a service.  

Frankly, I dont think BT could care less and I am fed up of such atrocious customer service.

I will be sending a full written complaint to BT and contacting our local paper.  We live in a rural area and the lack of broadband has been not just frustrating but has made it clear to us that having internet access is an essential living where we do.  

This is a warning to everyone.  If you have an alternative to BT - use them, go to anyone other than BT.  

Until people vote with their feet, BT will continue to get away with providing poor quality services and abysmal customer service, whilst charging a fortune for it.  The fact is that they can get away with this in rural areas because we have no alternative.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Please remember that it is not BT that provides and maintains the network it is Openreach and regardless of which provider you move to it will still be Openreach maintaining the network and exchange equipment it is just a different name on the bill
Hattie74
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

I am aware that the network is provided by Openreach.  But Openreach is part of BT.  They can and do talk to each other - just not to me!!

My frustration arises from the fact that due to the network problems there is no point in me going elsewhere, as Sky or Virgin would also struggle with the connection.  However if I could, regardless of who is providing the network, I would not give another penny to BT directly.  It is their terrible customer service that is truly galling at this point.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 10

Hi Hattie74, 

Thanks for your posts. 

I am sorry that things aren't sorted yet. Can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will be in touch to help.

Thanks,

OlgaC

0 Ratings