cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 28

Re: Unidentified network - desktop only.

Go to solution

I mean the wiring on the faceplates.

IDC, insulation displacement connectors.

The wires are pushed down between 2 blades that cut into the insulation to make contact. Sometimes the wires aren't pushed in firmly enough to make a good connection.

Edit: Don't try to push them in with a screwdriver blade, that can make matters worse as it opens up the gap. Get a proper tool, plastic versions are very cheap.

I'm not allowed to post links to Amazon, but if you Google IDC punch down tool, Amazon have a proper one rather than plastic for £6.99

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 28

Go to solution

Cupboard - upstairs Ethernet port 

So the orange connector was pretty lose. I could lift it up easily. Problem is now I can't get it back in, what's the best way using something I would have in the house? 

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 28

Go to solution
I've noticed the port light doesn't light up on the ONT box when I plug it into the upstairs port but it does when I plug it into the downstairs port, that's not right?
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 28

Go to solution

That would be expected if the cabling is faulty.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 28

Go to solution

@dan3691 wrote:

Problem is now I can't get it back in, what's the best way using something I would have in the house? 

See my edited post21

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 28

Go to solution

I've bought a kit from Amazon which includes the clipper, punch down tool and the all other bits and bobs. 

Seems to have good reviews. What I've done this morning is unraveled the orange tangled wire a bit more to give me some more to play with then I'll use the punch down tool to clip of the old bit in the process (just in case I damaged it last night with my stupidity!) 

Thanks for all your help so far @licquorice !

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 28

Go to solution

@licquorice so another update. I thought I'd send an email to the site manager/sales team for the redrow new build estate. 
We only moved in last Friday, anyway they sent over an electrician this afternoon to look at the problem. 
He clamped the wire back into place downstairs, but internet connectivity still wasn't working upstairs. 

He then clamped a few more of the wires but still no luck, he took his LAN tester out and not all of the connections were coming back with the green light. 

Long story short, he replaced the entire faceplate upstairs, I plugged the hub back in downstairs and now my PC is working perfectly. 
He mentioned they've had a lot of issues with these cheaper faceplates redrow have now chosen to install. 

Message 28 of 28

Go to solution

Good result, glad you got it sorted in the end. Typical big business, end up spending £10 to save a fiver!!!

0 Ratings