cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Unknown 5ghz connection - BT Smart hub

Hi,

I have a wireless device that is not from my network or wireless devices I have given access to the network. The strange thing is, it doesn't show an IP address, only a Mac address. Which has the following message; "This device either does not support or is not configured for IPv4 addressing."

I've gone through all machines, wireless devices and VM's to confirm it's not something I have missed. I removed the device but after an un-counted amount of time it has returned. The thing that is causing me worry is that it has marked as downloading over 20gb and uploading around 4gb.

I'm on an unlimited package, but as this is my BT connection, any actions conducted while connected are my responsibility ultimately.

Any advice of help would be great. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unknown 5ghz connection - BT Smart hub

You could change the wireless password and see if it returns.  What is the MAC address it's displaying?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If you have BT WiFi enabled, then it could be someone connecting to your hotspot. These connections do not show IP addresses. They are on separate network and do not count against any usage any you are not liable for them.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

I have BT Wi-Fi turned off, I don't want to share the MAC address online. But, I went to a site to find the vendor of it. It is showing as an Apple MAC address. There is only three Apple products that I own wireless connected. The MAC address does not match any of these.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 5 of 9

If the device is not yours sharing the MAC address is not an issue,

However the solution is quite simple.  Go to the wireless section in the router and look for something along the lines of "Allow all new connections" or "Prevent all new connections".  Something like that, there should be some form of filtering allowed. EG: MAC address filtering.   Set this on the router and then new devices will not automatically connect with out their details being entered into the router beforehand.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Does a BT router have this ability?
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 9

I don't and never will use a Hub, the ones I have live in their boxes.  Look in the wireless section. Should be something relating to filtering there, some form of Blocked/Allowed list, unless the Smart Hub is more crippled than I imagine.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

It's a Smart Hub... what do you think?
Another week and I can order another Draytek. Even the port forwarding on the BT hub is restrictive!
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 9 of 9

I agree, the Hubs are not the best at remembering settings in my experience.  A DrayTek will cure all the ills.  As to filtering you will need to poke around in the wireless settings page of the Hub GUI and see if you can find filtering.  About 10 years since I gave up trying to get a hub to do what I wanted.

0 Ratings