cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Unknown Device in my list of network devices

Go to solution

Hi. Can anyone help please.

For a couple of days now, I have been trying to identify an unknown device on my network, before I go into detail it's maybe worth mentioning that I only have one Apple device and that is so old that I can't update it beyond iOS10.

There is only one instance of this device on the SH2 network manager it has a MAC address which returns a result when I do a MAC lookup online and, according to the network manager, I have successfully blocked it and it is offline.

This is where the problem starts.
According to the MyBT app, the same device has a total of 3 instances, only one of which appears to have a valid MAC address (according to dnslookup.org) and the IP address of all 3 is stated as Null, yet the two which  appear to have spoofed MAC addresses are currently reported as being online/offline and they come and go as they please but never leave a clue in SH2 event log.

Anyone any ideas please?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unknown Device in my list of network devices

Go to solution

Do you have a printer with Memory card slots that could be showing up on your network.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @gg30340  and thanks for replying.

I do indeed, how would that cause the problem though? my Printer IP is 178 and the Unknown device IP before I blocked it was 078

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

My printer's memory slots show up on my network as separate drives.  At the moment I am unable to check how they are listed on the router but I thought it might be worth you checking to see if the unknow device showing corresponds with when your printer is turned on/off

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion but it wasn't that either but it appears that I've managed to block all three instances, that is that the MyBT app reports all three as being offline, I won't know for sure until after 07:00 tomorrow due to the way I did it

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

When this happened to me the mystery devices turned out to be a couple of virtual network adapters created by VMWare, and our smart TV.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

That makes sense, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I still don't know what this device is but all 3 instances of it now report as being permanently offline and all my devices are still working normally so I'll settle for that. 

0 Ratings