cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Unknown Device logged into my WiFi

Go to solution

Hi, I have an BT Smart Hub 2 which provides my home WiFi. This morning I was logged into it and looking at the list of devices that were on my network and I found one that I didn't know what it was (see image below) and it said that it didn't have an IP address. It also said that it had downloaded 56 Gbytes of data!!!

PhilipJ451_0-1609945157679.png

I rebooted the Hub and my network returned to just those devices I knew were mine but within 1 hour it had returned and as you can see, downloaded a further 1.1GB of data.

I have tried clicking the Remove button but it doesn't do anything, is there any way I can exclude this device based upon it's MAC address ?

Also what does the blue 6 mean that is over the icon ?

I've also got a unit with a blue D over it, what does that mean ?

PhilipJ451_1-1609945529441.png

I'm not saying that this isn't a device I own but I've gone round my house and identified everything I can think of and so my only option is to "lock out"the device  and hope that one day I'll find something that isn't working...

thanks for any advice you can offer

PhilipJ

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unknown Device logged into my WiFi

Go to solution

I've seen on other threads on this forum that D = DHCP and 6 = IPv6. In the case of the latter, I suspect that means it is actually configured for IPv6 rather than capable of.

My understanding of IPv6 is that, being a newer protocol, fewer devices are configurable and the mobile providers are adopting it quickerthan most, so if you've actually got a device showing it it's probably a new(er) one - anyone had a new phone for Christmas?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

The MAC address is a Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd., trading as Foxconn Technology Group device, probably a mobile.

D= Dual stack as far as I'm aware.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi thanks for your answer, It makes sense that it is an IPv6 address only but I still can't identify what device it is. Sadly I live alone and noone bought me anything new for Christmas 😞

I shall keep looking...

PhilipJ

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

thanks for the reply. I had read that the MAC address identified as Hon Hai but I didn't know the bit about Foxconn, that might lead me to something...

PhilipJ

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi all,

thanks for the helpful suggestions, it turned out to be my Sony TV !!!

PhilipJ

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Glad you identified it.

0 Ratings