cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brownbag1
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Unknown Ethernet Connections

I’ve been experiencing drop outs in my connection so I logged into my home hub and listed under the “Ethernet Port1” were 3 devices.

1. “dLANwireless” - this is my power line extender (I assume so even though the MAC address was different)

2. “jonnys” - this is the one that worries me. It has an 192.168.1.xxx etc IP and when I’ve looked up the MAC address it says it’s from “Tp-link” which I’m aware are router manufacturers. I’ve no idea what this could be or why it’s called “jonnys”.

3. “192.168.1.xxx” (I’ve blanked out the last 3 digits because I’m not even sure if that’s secure to post) MAC address says it’s manufacturer is “bskyb”. I thought it would be something to do with the devolo but clearly not if the manufacturer is different.

Anyway I’ve been watching the devices and 1 and 3 come on “live” intermittently, 2 hasn’t and 2, what greyed our has a blue square with a “D” in the middle. 

Can anyone shed some light as to how these have ended up on my Ethernet list? My wireless list looks fine and all accounted for, I don’t have anything else running through the back home hub?

Really appreciate your help, thank you.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Unknown Ethernet Connections

What make of powerline adapters do you have?

TP Link make powerline adapters, so could someone else be connecting to yours, perhaps next door?

Those blanked out addresses only apply to your local network, so you do not need to hide them.

0 Ratings
Brownbag1
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

Thank you. They are Devolo ones. 

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

bskyb is a Sky TV Box

0 Ratings
Brownbag1
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

That’s odd because I don’t have a Sky box anymore?  I haven’t had sky in 2 years at least. Plus the icon was green this morning to indicate it was connected.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 21

Do you use any sort of Access points or a WiFi Mesh, if so how are they set up?

0 Ratings
Brownbag1
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

I have the devolo where the LAN plugged into and then an adaptor on the top floor, that’s it. I have a PC which has a TP-Link wireless adapter but that’s accounted for as its listed in the wireless section and has a different MAC address.

Ive disconnected the “dLANwireless” and I’m satisfied that’s the devolo that plugs into the router. It’s the other two that I have no idea about?

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 21

So if you have an access point thats hard wired (devices connect wirlessly) into the router any device thats connected wirlessly to that access point will show up as Ethernet in the HUB.

So a device thats connected via that access point, like a Sky TV Box will show up as hard wired.

Brownbag1
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

Thanks for that, it makes sense. The devices listed though aren’t any of my devices?

Ive read up about the prospect of neighbors being on the same power line and I’ve read that if you have separate fuse boxes (which I do) then it’s not possible?

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 21

I have no idea about any of the PowerLIne adapter stuff because i've never had to use / learn how they work so, cant help you there sorry. Maybe someone elese can.

0 Ratings